resolve lite stabilizer - clear data

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Fred Rodrigues

resolve lite stabilizer - clear data

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 11:00 am

Hi, I am working with resolve lite and love it. I am using the stabilizer a lot and cannot work out a few things. Is there a way to clear the stabilizer data? In the manual it only talks of using a soft key on the control panel which I dont have. I found I can do it by unchecking all the parameters (pan tilt zoom rotate) and running the analysis again.

Also is there a way to edit the data? I see it on the graph and I want to tweak the tracking but I cannot- I also went through the manual but I am not sure if it is a limitation of the lite version or there is a bug in the software but I cannot edit anything on the graph.

Lastly, I am sure this is a workflow issue for me, but if I have a tracked clip and then use the apply grade from one clip prior (where the tracked clip is one clip prior) it also pastes the tracking data as well, which as above cannot be deleted. This definitely seems like a fault, but maybe I am wrong....

Fred
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

Walter Cavatoi

Re: resolve lite stabilizer - clear data

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 11:34 am

Hi Fred,
there is a way to clear the data, in the stabiliser Tab on the top right of the stabiliser graph you have 3 dots. check and a sub menu will appear ( see screenshot in attachment)

About copying the grade without the stabiliser data, you have to right click on the gallery Tab and change the "copy" settings from the sub menu. You have to click "copying preserve the input size"

About editing the data, I think you can't do anything else then ignoring some attributes (scale or rot or pan or tilt)
Attachments
clear track data.jpg
cleraing stab data
clear track data.jpg (451.01 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
Walter Cavatoi
Colorist / Online Editor
www.waltercavatoi.com

Fred Rodrigues

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 11:44 am

Thanks a lot, I did not see that one.

Do you know if you can edit the stabilisation data in the full version? Seems like a simple but very useful tool.

Walter Cavatoi

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 1:02 pm

I am working on Resolve Full version, no way to edit the stabiliser data so far.
You can only delete some tracking point or some key frames. If you select part of the stab graph, you are able use the same submenu to clear "selected keyframes", which means to ignore part of the tracking. This could be useful when other object are temporarily passing into the frame.
Actually, the way should be to combine stabiliser tracking and sizing keyframes to adjust what is wrong in the auto tracking feature.
Don't forget to use also the interactive mode in the stabiliser, to manually select tracking points.

All this feature should work in Resolve Lite, too.
Walter Cavatoi
Colorist / Online Editor
www.waltercavatoi.com

Fred Rodrigues

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 6:07 pm

Cheers, I am using interactive mode all the time, otherwise I don't get anything useful.

I did hit a problem I don't know how to pass. I have a scene with a bump in the first few seconds, I can stabilise it, but a person walks past the only thing I can track at the end of the scene. I watched a bunch of tutorials and read up on getting around this.

The advice I took was to pause the analysis and then select another area to track and delete the tracked points from the part that gets obscured. However, Resolve does not pick this up, it starts tracking again, not relative to the pause point, so there is a jump when the markers switch over.

As the footage is still after the bump I actually don't need to track any more, ideally I could just apply the current pan tilt rotate zoom settings from the last tracking point to the rest of the clip. Is there a way to do this? Or a way to apply the current stabilised settings for a duration. If I make the last frame a clip I can then copy the settings from that, but only to the first frame of the next part- I am actually thinking about cutting the clip into individual frames and then just applying grade from one clip prior to all 200 frames....

I tried to line the clip up manually but the zoom controls that resolve gives you on the edit page jump in much larger steps than the zoom done by the stabilizer, so it is impossible to match the tracked zoom with a manual one.

It would be great if anyone has some advice.

Fred

JPOwens

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 8:33 pm

Fred Rodrigues wrote:some advice.

There are maybe a couple of strategies to try...

If you really don't need to stabilize beyond a certain point, maybe it would be worthwhile to "track backwards" from that point and not worry about the rest of the clip.

Unfortunately, there are no keyframe controls similar to Tracking.

You could mess with Strong and Smooth percentages...

and last and least satisfying would be to let Resolve do its thing, but then use the PTRZ controls to "undo" the undesirable results -- which kind of defeats the notion of the stabilizer and so ...

this leads us to why we really want MochaPro to be hooked into the application.

jPo

Return to DaVinci Resolve