Datacolor Spyderchecker in DaVinci

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Joe Serkoch

Datacolor Spyderchecker in DaVinci

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 3:34 am

I wanted to check the forum to see if anyone else has experienced the same issues we are.

Shot datacolor spyderchecker charts on the BMCC and GH4 (so we could match cameras) and DaVinci is throwing all colors out of broadcast safe zones. Specifically... the red gamma is getting crushed and bleeding out everywhere.

I sent example clips to BM support and they are experiencing the same issue and now are investigating a bug.

Has anyone else had success with the Datacolor Spyderchecker or experienced the same issue?

Marc Wielage

Re: Datacolor Spyderchecker in DaVinci

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 5:40 am

Adjust the camera charts manually and I bet it'll come out fine.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Joe Serkoch

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 3:51 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Adjust the camera charts manually and I bet it'll come out fine.

Hey Mark, can you be a bit more specific? If by "manually" you mean just grading by scopes and eye, yes there isn't a problem with the footage... but that goes against the point of using this tool to match 2 cameras. Can you elaborate a bit more? Much appreciated.

John Clark

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 5:31 pm

Joe Serkoch wrote:I wanted to check the forum to see if anyone else has experienced the same issues we are.

Shot datacolor spyderchecker charts on the BMCC and GH4 (so we could match cameras) and DaVinci is throwing all colors out of broadcast safe zones. Specifically... the red gamma is getting crushed and bleeding out everywhere.

I sent example clips to BM support and they are experiencing the same issue and now are investigating a bug.

Has anyone else had success with the Datacolor Spyderchecker or experienced the same issue?

Yes, I've used the Spydercheckr and posted some screen shots. While I don't know if this is your 'problem', I did find that because I oriented the checker 'vertically', I had to turn the grid 90 degrees to match the checkerboard.

BMPCC @ ISO 800 as I recall, and 'overexposed' by 2 stops to test 'latitude' in the old fashioned sense...

Once I did that, and the match... it was within expected 'error'...

Before I did the rotation, the match was whacked...

In any case, I did 'tweek' the colors a bit once the checker was 'matched'.

Joe Serkoch

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 8:21 pm

John Clark wrote:
Joe Serkoch wrote:I wanted to check the forum to see if anyone else has experienced the same issues we are.

Yes, I've used the Spydercheckr and posted some screen shots. While I don't know if this is your 'problem', I did find that because I oriented the checker 'vertically', I had to turn the grid 90 degrees to match the checkerboard.

BMPCC @ ISO 800 as I recall, and 'overexposed' by 2 stops to test 'latitude' in the old fashioned sense...

Once I did that, and the match... it was within expected 'error'...

Before I did the rotation, the match was whacked...

In any case, I did 'tweek' the colors a bit once the checker was 'matched'.

John, no offense, but if you are implying that I don't have the color chart aligned correctly before clicking "match color" then that isn't the case.

Prime example of the issue I am describing is your vectorscope. Look at how far out of safe everything is in your image. The result, from what I can see, is by using "color match" the image goes completely whack! The colors are "correct" but the levels get thrown into the point of bleed everywhere.

I don't have another chart to test but I don't really want to try another one if this is the result of the color match feature. I can get better results doing it the old fashioned way.

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 9:53 pm

I had the same with an XRight ColorChecker Passport on a BMPCC recording on a bright summer day with lots of infrared throwing my colors off into the reddish brown.

John Clark

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 5:45 pm

Joe Serkoch wrote:
John, no offense, but if you are implying that I don't have the color chart aligned correctly before clicking "match color" then that isn't the case.

Prime example of the issue I am describing is your vectorscope. Look at how far out of safe everything is in your image. The result, from what I can see, is by using "color match" the image goes completely whack! The colors are "correct" but the levels get thrown into the point of bleed everywhere.

There have been posts by people who didn't have the grid lined up correctly... so now that's out of the way...

The test setup I had was to test the extremes of the camera without too much regard for broadcast safety...

The 'blown out' portions of the scene give rise to the massive 'flare' on the vectorscope up and to the left.

However, 'pure' color dots, tend to be within the circle of the landing points for the several color 'standards'.

I do have some other test clips which have the chart filling up much more of the frame, and I'll see if they produce a vectorscope pattern that is 'better'.

The above test was also in somewhat deepish shade, so there's a blue cast which is somewhat obvious from the RGB parade and the grey card sections of the image.

Return to DaVinci Resolve