Trying to debug OpenFX crashes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Woodworth

Trying to debug OpenFX crashes

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 8:21 pm

Hello,

We're working on an OpenFX plugin for Resolve OS X and are running into "crashes" when we apply the effect to a node. I put crashes in quotes because there is no crash report generated, no console logs, etc. It seems that it may be related to excessive wakeups (a spindump report is created some times).

I'm finding debugging this to be nearly impossible. When I try to attach Xcode debugger to Resolve, it fails with the following console logs:

1/21/15 12:01:41.697 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.ReportCrash.Root[24805]) Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.ReportCrash.DirectoryService
1/21/15 12:01:42.254 PM ReportCrash[24805]: Saved crash report for debugserver[24803] version 2 to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/debugserver_2015-01-21-120142_Mikes-Mac-Pro.crash

I'm beginning to suspect Resolve is blocking interprocess communications (our plugin seems to crash opening an xpc service to our backend). Does any of this ring any bells?

Any suggestions how to proceed?

mike

Frédéric Devernay

Re: Trying to debug OpenFX crashes

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 2:50 pm

Here's what I wrote on another thread:

I noticed that Resolve didn't support the kOfxPropPluginDescription property, which is OpenFX 1.2. This made my plugin crash, and I just had to modify the plugin Support library to be more tolerant to hosts that don't implement OpenFX 1.2.

If you're a plugin developper, then it's very hard to debug them with Resolve, at least on OSX, because the debugger can't be attached to Resolve. The only solution is to print messages to standard output.

Here's how I found which property was missing:
https://github.com/devernay/openfx/comm ... e3d3bd2c0b

And here's the fix for Resolve (I did more compatibility fixes following this one):
https://github.com/devernay/openfx/comm ... 96543a02d6
Frédéric Devernay, research scientist, INRIA, France.

Frédéric Devernay

Re: Trying to debug OpenFX crashes

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 2:53 pm

btw, I forgot to mention that you can also use our open source compositing software Natron, and our branch of the openfx support library to develop and test OpenFX plugins, which can then be used in Resolve and others.
Frédéric Devernay, research scientist, INRIA, France.

Return to DaVinci Resolve