Resolve not laid out properly on Macbook Pro

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Steve Yager

Resolve not laid out properly on Macbook Pro

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 10:33 pm

Running Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.6GHz i7 with 16GB RAM and OSX10.9.5. When I import an XML into Resolve, I'm only seeing the screenshot below. The window on the top right is cut off and there are no buttons on the bottom for "conform," "color," etc. What have I done wrong?
Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 2.24.51 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 2.24.51 PM.jpg (499.81 KiB) Viewed 1848 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve not laid out properly on Macbook Pro

PostMon Feb 02, 2015 8:32 pm

Under Mac System Prefs / Displays, select Scaled and More Space.

And/or, go into Resolve View menu, User Interface Layout, select "Show Window Frame" and then click the green + bubble in the upper left of the display.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Steve Yager

PostMon Feb 02, 2015 9:52 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Under Mac System Prefs / Displays, select Scaled and More Space.

And/or, go into Resolve View menu, User Interface Layout, select "Show Window Frame" and then click the green + bubble in the upper left of the display.

Awesome, thanks so much!

Steve Yager

PostMon Feb 02, 2015 10:27 pm

Well, I have a new problem now. Everything is fitting inside using the "Show window frame" function, but now my timeline window in the top right is squished. I can't seem to pull the frames into custom shapes, so I'm not sure how I'd give it more window room.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 02, 2015 11:19 pm

Window Frame will force the GUI into a smaller space then it wants to live in. You should still set the Mac System Prefs Display mode to Scaled - More Space.
Dwaine Maggart

Steve Yager

PostMon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm

Okay, I'll do that instead. Was hoping to get around setting that back and forth each time I wanted to work in Resolve, but I guess there's no way around it. Also, is there any way to make the color monitor bigger? It's insanely small on a laptop with no option to go second monitor out without BlackMagic gear.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 02, 2015 11:43 pm

If by color monitor, you mean the Viewer display on the Color page, you can select different modes in the View menu, such as Cinema Viewer for full screen, or Enhanced Viewer for a larger Viewer.

For a proper color monitor, you need to use a BMD I/O device and a proper color monitor.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve