"Capture Permission" error msg in Resolve 11.2

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dave Pultz

"Capture Permission" error msg in Resolve 11.2

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 3:33 pm

Just installed Resolve 11.2 on my Win 7 platform. When booting up a project, I get an error message:
"Capture Permission - DaVinci Resolve is unable to write to selected capture path C:\Capture as it does not have write permission."

This was not a problem in 11.1. Once I click out of the message all seems normal, including saving stills and rendering to the C drive (the first drive in my Preferences list)

Any suggestions on getting rid of the error messge?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: "Capture Permission" error msg in Resolve 11.2

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 8:13 pm

Are you sure it says Capture? Could it possibly be Cache?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Kelly Reese

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 10:58 pm

I saw the same thing. It's expecting a folder to be there called Capture. You can either assign a different folder in the Capture settings or create a folder where it already points to and make sure it has permission allowed.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 11:39 pm

Looks like we've changed the behavior in this area in 11.2.

In Resolve Preferences / Media Storage, the first (top) drive in the Scratch Disks list is the DEFAULT location for cache and stills files.

In 11.2, we are now populating the Project Settings / Capture and Playback / "Save clips to:" entry area with a Capture path. And that Capture path will be in the default Scratch Disk location. So if the first drive in your Scratch Disks list is C:\, then the default Capture and Playback "Save clips to:" path will be C:\Capture. On a Windows system, it looks like Resolve does not have permission to create this folder (at least that's what I see on our Windows 8.1 system) and thus the "Capture Permission" error message when you load a project.

I would expect that if you had the C: drive as the first drive in the scratch disks list, that you might also get stills and/or cache permissions errors as well. It's probably not a good idea to have the system boot drive be the first thing in the scratch disks list.

So you could either modify your scratch disks list to put a different drive at the top of the list, or modify the path in the "Save clips to:" area to something that works, then save that as your user default Preset, so it stays that way for new projects.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Dave Pultz

PostThu Feb 05, 2015 1:56 am

Just created a "Capture" folder, which worked. A very simple fix. BTW, was not getting stills and/or cache permissions errors, just the one I described.

Thanks.

Return to DaVinci Resolve