Scaling Issues.....Bizarre

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kevin Fratpietro

Scaling Issues.....Bizarre

PostTue May 19, 2015 6:50 am

Hi,

I'm trying to render out a project that consists of clips in all kinds of sizes 1920X1080, 1440x1080, 720x480, 720x540, 1280x720...etc. This was a simple correction and all I want to do is render it out, import it into fcp and deliver it, but every time I render it out, the images either come out squished, cropped or stretched. I just want the clips to replicate the scaling in the original timeline. The weird thing is that after my last render the clips look fine in the render cache, but when I import the .xml of the correction, everything's stretched. Now, if I just import an individual clip from from the render cache and manually place it over it's original clip, it looks and works fine. This is a feature length though and I really don't want to do that with every single clip, I've spent way too much time of this project already.

I've recently switched to DaVinci from Apple Color, so I'm used to the work flow where I can just send my project from Color back to fcp and it automatically relinks to the sequence.

Just want to note that I have read the Resolve manual and it seems I should use the following settings:
-image scaling preset: Center Crop With No Resizing
-output scaling preset: "Uncheck" Match Timeline Settings
: Center Crop With No Resizing
However, these settings and every other group of settings are not working. I'm flat out of ideas and just want to get this project out of my life.

Could the editor of screwed something up? I've never had this problem before.

I'm using DaVinci Resolve Lite 11.3.1.

I'd really like to deliver this tomorrow, so if someone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Tom Early

Re: Scaling Issues.....Bizarre

PostTue May 19, 2015 5:33 pm

when you import the xml you should have 'use sizing settings' checked. then on export you need to uncheck this and have resolve render everything at source res.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Return to DaVinci Resolve