Keyframing Question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Burton

Keyframing Question

PostWed May 20, 2015 4:23 pm

I'm not seeing a way to copy a keyframe to another keyframe. Like if I do a dissolve with luminance down and then back up I'd like to be able to copy my original setting at the end, without having to remember to build the keyframes before hand.

Thanks,

jb

Linwood Ferguson

Re: Keyframing Question

PostWed May 20, 2015 5:44 pm

Caveat: I am very new to this so take it with a grain of salt, but I was working to learn keyframes when I saw this and got interested.

I see two ways to do it, one that works only if you think ahead.

Let's say you have three points in order A, B C, and you want A and C equal, with the color or brightness changed at B. So down, then back up.

Easy way:

- Before making any color changes, etc., manually create a keyframe at points A and C. No color change, just create a keyframe (this locks in the current setting at both A and C's frames).

- Position the playhead to where you want point B, and make the color change there (if auto is enabled, or create a frame there first if not). So you dim it here.

This will leave the original value at "C" so you have no need to copy/paste it over there. But only if you already had decided on this and had "A" right.

If you need to copy "A" to "C", e.g. because you changed A after the fact, here is a way that seems to work, but it is so round-about that there must be a better way. Let's assume points A, B and C are already created, but C is not what you want, and you want to copy A to C. Emphasis that C is already created:

- Position the playhead just to the right of A, and grab a still.

- In the still, expand the node graph, and select this corrector node

- Position the playhead to just to the right of the dynamic keyframe C (where you want it back to the original), and Apply Color from the node graph of the still.

This appears to paste the color settings into the keyframe that is to the left of the playhead, only, giving you the same values as you copied into the still at point A.

There's GOT to be an easier way though....

Again... very, very, very new to Resolve, so take that as a caveat.
Linwood Ferguson

John Burton

Re: Keyframing Question

PostWed May 20, 2015 6:47 pm

Hey Linwood,

thanks for taking the time to reply.

Your first suggestion is what I do now. Or try to remember to do.

But your second is an interesting idea that I'll have to try. Both seem a bit round about though eh?

Thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve