media lost and found

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dermot Shane

media lost and found

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 2:29 pm

i opened up a dormant project, created in 11.x with the source caches still active - Resolve found one external disk was not attached to the machine, and the caches from that disk did not populate the timeline

in the past i have had source caches remaining linked to the timeline when the orignal media was no longer on the system, but i am on 11.3.1 by now, so it's possiable that something has changed in the indexing for caches inbetween.

i closed the project, found the missing disk, mapped it to the correct letter, and re-opened the project, once again the media was not found, and the timeline did not populate

in the media pool all the media was accounted for now, but the timeline did not find a link to the media in the pool to the clip in the timeline

the work around was to select each clip, click "find in media pool", then click "force conform to selected", and do this 200 more times...

it then source cached the same media allover again... fortunatly i'm not short of disk space on that array

what should have been a few min to drop in some vfx and a few small tweaks turned into hours of unbillable time on a beauitiful summer evening when i had a kayak on the roof of my truck calling my name...

would be nice if;
1) source caches exist and the timeline exists, the link between the two remains active
2) if the media exists in the media pool, and that media has an existing link to a clip in the timeline, Resolve finds the link between the timeline and the media.
3) if a source cache exists for a given frame of media, that is used rather than re-rendering an identical frame and now haveing two identical / redundant caches

many thanks for everything good about Resolve, even more thanks for sorting the things that are somewhat sub optimal

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: media lost and found

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 9:25 pm

Mac, pc or Linux
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Dermot Shane

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 9:53 pm

Walter,

This machine is on w7 ultimate, all my work machines are HP, great support if/when needed

but all my support and personal machines are Mac's....

Do you think it could be OS related? Have you seen similar issues with your Linux and Mac suites?

I assumed it was either the software or something i did wrong.... likely the latter tho....

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Jun 06, 2015 3:49 pm

I suspect that caching from an external disk might be cause of issues, if you switch path/Mount points it could cause issues
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Dermot Shane

PostSat Jun 06, 2015 4:01 pm

that was my thought too.. but i have seen Resolve holds onto caches when the source footage is removed from the system.. but that was before 11.3.1, so something may have changed

i did map the media to the correct letter, i am in the habit of nameing folders in the media pool after the disk letter they came from.. so this folder was called "from Q drive" and when i mounted it again it was at Q...

anyway, i had a far more damageing issue to deal with last night, so this is kinda peanuts in comaprison!

And i am spoiled by Nucoda and DS's bullet proof cacheing, so my expactations are pretty high on this file...

Return to DaVinci Resolve