today's cache crash

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dermot Shane

today's cache crash

PostSat Jun 06, 2015 4:57 am

new one... this evening i started to clean up the huge pile of leftovers from the massive traffic jam in my suite over the last few weeks... 5 films went out for TIFF submissions last week... ouch...

so i started by deleteing un-used caches in the first film, all went well, switched to another film and selected delete unused, after a few min the software hung, i went for an expresso and it was still hung when i got back.. i killed it in taskmangler

re-started and opened up the project, and Resolve could not find any caches, everything was gone- even the source caches... and then it hung again on rendering a cache of the first shot (huge amount of NR and 5 zillion nodes on that bad boy), and contuniued to hang on re-start with that project

i have the habit of exporting a DRP everynight, and i recalled lastnight's DRP and it opens and renders without issues, it's already at the 15 min mark, so i think i'm gonna be alright

i made no changes to anything, so really i'm golden... but only because i saved a DRP, the orignal project seems to be terminaly hooped after asking Resolve to delete caches

this is really pretty bad....

i do rely on cacheing, did not start using Resolve for anything more than an XML->AAF translator until caching was implemented, i now have graded half a dozen films in the last few months on it

but when i look at how some other systems i use are absolutly trouble free and have vastly better granularity on what to delete.. for example select your timeline, select "except for" - you get asked if you want to keep media found in other projects?, you get asked if you want to keep handles?, you get asked if you want to keep compressed caches?, keep un-compessed caches?, keep audio caches?

and what you select is what gets deleted.. and there's never, ever a hang and, never ever a corruption of a project in the process...

this is the third time in the last month have had an entire film's cache disappear while remaining intact on my array, this one had potentialy disastrous resualts, and i will not be deleting caches from the Resolve UI again anytime soon

looking forward to v12, and more "general stablilty" improvements, i hope some of the outstanding issues with cacheing and cache managment can be addressed

d

Dermot Shane

Re: today's cache crash

PostSat Jun 06, 2015 6:29 am

and huge thanks to Marc Wielage for suggesting saveing DRP's a long time ago... he talks, i listen...

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun Jun 07, 2015 12:55 am

I've also experienced all manner of buggy behaviors with Resolve's caching features. Never had a project go bad because of it though. Yikes! Thank you for the heads up on that!
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Dermot Shane

PostMon Jun 08, 2015 3:33 pm

now that the dust has cleared, i have a min, i also should mention when i quit Resolve from taskmangler, sometimes i use applications, sometimes processes tabs... and i do not remember what i did last week with this project...

but looking at it quickly this morning - if i use appliactions tab, close it there and once it's gone from applications, Resolve presists in the processes tab and holds 5.5 gig, with QTdecoder holding another 1.5 gig

killing both of those from the processes tab clears the ram.. if i kill Resolve from processes, QTdecoder will not stop until i manualy stop it - only when the corrupt project is up tho.

the first clip on the timeline in the corrupt project is a 4K ProRez4444, and the first clip is where Resolve hangs

later today i will remove it from the media pool, and try the project again, perhaps it's QTdecoder + Resolve + bad juju from clearing caches realted to that clip? Although selecting "delete unused" should not affect anything on a clip in the timeline...

Return to DaVinci Resolve