A question on converting DNG to B&W

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marshall Harrington

A question on converting DNG to B&W

PostWed Jun 10, 2015 4:35 pm

A question for you colorists working in Resolve.

How do you convert your color dng files to B&W?

I know you can simply reduce the saturation in the primary color grade, or do the same in the Raw Processor. But that leaves no control as to how each color is rendered.

Coming from stills, utilizing 'Zone System', there was complete control over how each color appeared in B&W. The raw processor in Photoshop/Lightroom has similiar tools.

How would you do the same or similar in Resolve? How do you convert to B&W?

Thanks...

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: A question on converting DNG to B&W

PostWed Jun 10, 2015 9:31 pm

Do a structure with a parallel node and an extra node at the end, the last node Is just the saturation to 0.

In the parallel nodes you can add how many correction you need to tweak the colors before going bw
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jun 11, 2015 4:21 am

You can also use the RGB Mixer in Monochrome mode, then vary the individual levels of Red, Green, and Blue to determine where the B&W information comes from. Pp. 538-539 in the v11 manual.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Marshall Harrington

PostThu Jun 11, 2015 2:47 pm

You are the two people that I had hoped would reply. THANK YOU for getting back. I'll dig into these today and get back. FYI really appreciate reading your many responses to other peoples questions. Over a long period of time now I've read and learned a great deal. The beauty and power of this place.

Marshall Harrington

PostThu Jun 11, 2015 8:25 pm

Both ways work but Marc's direction gets me to where I'm trying to go in the most direct manner. The ability to adjust how each color is rendered in B&W.

I'm looking forward to the next set of Adobe upgrades. I'm sure you already know that the revamped Raw Processor will exactly resemble the Photoshop/Lightroom Processor. Coming from stills, I do like the way you can control the Hue/Saturation/Luminance while converting to greyscale (or not). At least to me it's more intuitive... similar to the tools we used using zone system.

Thanks again to both of you for your help. Mission accomplished.

Return to DaVinci Resolve