No speed ramp in Resolve 12?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
Vuk Valkonen

No speed ramp in Resolve 12?

PostThu Jun 11, 2015 7:34 pm

Simple question: Will you not add a proper keyframeable video speed changes to Resolve 12?

This would be ESSENTIAL for an NLE.

Marc Wielage

Re: No speed ramp in Resolve 12?

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 1:13 am

You can sorta/kinda do it now within Resolve 11, and if I believe the feature list, the varispeed mode has been "refined" and improved. Pages 340-344 in the v11 manual.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

RufusBlackwell

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 6:43 am

Vuk Valkonen wrote:Simple question: Will you not add a proper keyframeable video speed changes to Resolve 12?

This would be ESSENTIAL for an NLE.

Agree. High quality speed ramping, with the ability to mimic a 180 degree shutter motion blur, is essential for online. Resolve is woefully inadequate.
DroneFX.tv

Vuk Valkonen

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 6:33 pm

This is absolutely NUTS. Blackmagic has been wanting and trying to make Resolve to become an NLE for a year and they leave such an important and basic feature out...

Even Resolve 11 editing is fresh, the UI is AMAZING and playback good, but no professional is going to jump to edit anything serious on Resolve if one has to jump to After Effects or Premiere to make a simple SMOOTH speed ramp...

Cmon someone from BMD reply to tell us how it's gonna be with Resolve 12.

Survivor_Films

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 11:35 pm

I think some users are forgetting that for grading they're using Resolve 11.x but on the editing front they're using Resolve 1.0

Have some patience - they've already performed minor miracles. Just don't expect the equivalent of FCP7 in just 2 (free!) upgrades.

Vuk Valkonen

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 12:20 am

Survivor_Films wrote:I think some users are forgetting that for grading they're using Resolve 11.x but on the editing front they're using Resolve 1.0

Have some patience - they've already performed minor miracles. Just don't expect the equivalent of FCP7 in just 2 (free!) upgrades.

Yes, I am grateful for Blackmagic's GREAT software. Generous from them to give it to us for free... but it would be relatively easy to implement a feature to do a SMOOTH speed change from 0% to 100%
When we already have the ability to change the speed in intervals like 10% *cut* 30% *cut* 50%...

And as I said, it is pretty much the only thing left that is needed for Resolve to become a great free NLE.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 7:12 am

Vuk Valkonen wrote:... but it would be relatively easy to implement a feature to do a SMOOTH speed change from 0% to 100%. When we already have the ability to change the speed in intervals like 10% *cut* 30% *cut* 50%...

I again say: Resolve can do speed ramps. Check the manual at the pages listed above. This functionality will be improved in a month or so in v12.

Vuk Valkonen

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 12:10 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Vuk Valkonen wrote:... but it would be relatively easy to implement a feature to do a SMOOTH speed change from 0% to 100%. When we already have the ability to change the speed in intervals like 10% *cut* 30% *cut* 50%...

I again say: Resolve can do speed ramps. Check the manual at the pages listed above. This functionality will be improved in a month or so in v12.

First, It's explained on pages 323-327 of Resolve 11 manual. (At least that is where I found it)

And there is speed ramping yes, but no SMOOTH speed changes... You can speed ramp from 10% speed to 30% speed but the speed change is instant and does not increase ''smoothly''... That's why keyframeable speed changes is a must.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jun 14, 2015 1:54 am

Vuk Valkonen wrote:And there is speed ramping yes, but no SMOOTH speed changes... You can speed ramp from 10% speed to 30% speed but the speed change is instant and does not increase ''smoothly''... That's why keyframeable speed changes is a must.

I believe this will be improved in v12.

Vuk Valkonen

PostSun Jun 14, 2015 11:20 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Vuk Valkonen wrote:And there is speed ramping yes, but no SMOOTH speed changes... You can speed ramp from 10% speed to 30% speed but the speed change is instant and does not increase ''smoothly''... That's why keyframeable speed changes is a must.

I believe this will be improved in v12.

Thanks Marc.

Some confirmation from BMD worker would still be cool tho.

Michael Luber

PostSat Jan 30, 2016 10:25 pm

Hey,

anything new about speed ramps. I can't find any funktion to generate smooth speed ramps like in Premiere or so.

Thanks

Return to DaVinci Resolve