4K playback slow - 4K-SDI makes it worse

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ingmar Rieger

4K playback slow - 4K-SDI makes it worse

PostWed Jun 17, 2015 11:34 am

Hello,

I recently bought a Decklink 4K SDI and a miniconverter for my 4K monitor to view and grade the footage from my Production cam in its native resolution. But with 4K I experienced problems with stuttering playback. Today I did some tests and made some interesting findings.

I can't get 24p ProRes 4444 (4K DCI Scope) to play back realtime in Resolve. When having a 2K timeline + 2K output I get about 19 fps. 1 or two less with 4:4:4 over 3G-SDI, about 3 more with Full HD. When switching to 4K (DCI Scope) and 4K 4:2:2 over 6G-SDI I'm only left with about 13fps. The file plays nicely in Quicktime and the same ProRes file converted to 4096*2160 with letterboxes for Media Express compatibility plays also nice on Quicktime and MediaExpress with its 24p without stuttering. Note: No grade, LUT etc. active in Resolve. No noteable difference with scopes on/off.

How comes Resolve isn't able to play realtime when other software does?

The machines hardware is:
Intel i7 950 4*3.06GHz, Gigabyte X58-UD3R mainboard
3*3 TB RAID0
Resolve 11.3.1 (OS X 10.10) / Resolve 11.2.x (OS X 10.9)
GeForce GTX 780 6GB (in true PCIe-x16 slot)
Decklink 4K-SDI card (in true PCIe-x16 slot)

PS: Removing my previously installed Geforce GT 640 GUI card btw. seemed to improve the playback speed by about 1 frame.
Greetings
Ingmar Rieger

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: 4K playback slow - 4K-SDI makes it worse

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 3:32 am

When you play, check the cpu load: is it high?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 6:30 am

Ingmar Rieger wrote:Hello,

I recently bought a Decklink 4K SDI and a miniconverter for my 4K monitor to view and grade the footage from my Production cam in its native resolution. But with 4K I experienced problems with stuttering playback. Today I did some tests and made some interesting findings.

I can't get 24p ProRes 4444 (4K DCI Scope) to play back realtime in Resolve. When having a 2K timeline + 2K output I get about 19 fps. 1 or two less with 4:4:4 over 3G-SDI, about 3 more with Full HD. When switching to 4K (DCI Scope) and 4K 4:2:2 over 6G-SDI I'm only left with about 13fps. The file plays nicely in Quicktime and the same ProRes file converted to 4096*2160 with letterboxes for Media Express compatibility plays also nice on Quicktime and MediaExpress with its 24p without stuttering. Note: No grade, LUT etc. active in Resolve. No noteable difference with scopes on/off.

How comes Resolve isn't able to play realtime when other software does?

The machines hardware is:
Intel i7 950 4*3.06GHz, Gigabyte X58-UD3R mainboard
3*3 TB RAID0
Resolve 11.3.1 (OS X 10.10) / Resolve 11.2.x (OS X 10.9)
GeForce GTX 780 6GB (in true PCIe-x16 slot)
Decklink 4K-SDI card (in true PCIe-x16 slot)

PS: Removing my previously installed Geforce GT 640 GUI card btw. seemed to improve the playback speed by about 1 frame.

You need to make sure your output resolution (normally defaults to same as timeline resolution) is same as your video monitoring resolution for optimum performance.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Ingmar Rieger

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 8:17 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:You need to make sure your output resolution (normally defaults to same as timeline resolution) is same as your video monitoring resolution for optimum performance.

The timeline is 4K DCI Scope, Monitoring 4K DCI as the monitor is 4096*2160 native.

waltervolpatto wrote:When you play, check the cpu load: is it high?

It was about 300-400% afair. In Media Express I had a bit more but I'm far away from the 800% max on this 4core + hyperthreading CPU. Was the first thing I checked if the CPU is near its limit.
Greetings
Ingmar Rieger

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 10:36 am

Ingmar Rieger wrote:
Rohit Gupta wrote:You need to make sure your output resolution (normally defaults to same as timeline resolution) is same as your video monitoring resolution for optimum performance.

The timeline is 4K DCI Scope, Monitoring 4K DCI as the monitor is 4096*2160 native.

waltervolpatto wrote:When you play, check the cpu load: is it high?

It was about 300-400% afair. In Media Express I had a bit more but I'm far away from the 800% max on this 4core + hyperthreading CPU. Was the first thing I checked if the CPU is near its limit.

Set your output res (3rd tab in Project Settings) or timeline res to 4096*2160, and you should get good performance.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Ingmar Rieger

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 8:03 pm

Rohit Gupta wrote:Set your output res (3rd tab in Project Settings) or timeline res to 4096*2160, and you should get good performance.

You mean output scaling?

I did some more tests: So without the Decklink activated (set Video I/O card to None in the Preferences), I get realtime playback. With 1080p and 2K resolution (set the output [Video format] to this resolutions and set output scaling to the corresponding size) I was now today able to get realtime. Without output scaling but with "Video format" on 1080p/2K I get about 20/21 fps in the kind of middle zoom. Why is this? Shouldn't this be faster cause no transforming has to be done? And with timeline and video format on 4K p24 and Output scaling on "Match timeline setting" I get 14-15 fps.

The CPU is between 350 and 500% in all modes. Menu meters shows only minimal memory usage on the GPU but processing is at about 55-70%. (I don't know how reliable menu meters GPU meter is, especially with inofficial cards.)

For me it's important to find out what the bottleneck in my setup is. I'm going to build a new workstation in summer and want to know this before.

PS: Just had the idea to copy the clips onto a SSD and boot my windows install to test the performance there.
Greetings
Ingmar Rieger

Ingmar Rieger

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 8:47 pm

Results of my windows test:
On Windows I have between 10-11 fps for the 4K with 2K output and scaling to 2K and 5.5-6.5 fps at 4K. CPU is on full load with 2K output and about 60-70% in 4K. GPU Load and Memory are a non-issue due to GPU-Z monitoring.

Seems Resolve on Windows is much more painfull or why is the load so much higher? Was planing to use windows on my coming workstation due to the lack of Resolve for Linux with the standard dongle.
Greetings
Ingmar Rieger

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 19, 2015 3:18 am

Hi, im not sure from all the above about your config.
Try setting the output scaling to match the timeline settings.
Then, set the timeline settings to match your monitor res which i think is 4K-DCI.

Which DeckLink driver are you using?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Ingmar Rieger

PostFri Jun 19, 2015 10:17 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Hi, im not sure from all the above about your config.
Try setting the output scaling to match the timeline settings.
Then, set the timeline settings to match your monitor res which i think is 4K-DCI.

Which DeckLink driver are you using?

I did this with the 4K-DCI Timeline and output resolution. I'm using the 10.4 driver.
Greetings
Ingmar Rieger

Charles Boileau

PostFri Jun 19, 2015 7:35 pm

FYI I've done all the tests you can imagine in your circumstance... I've come to this conclusion.

Activating the Decklink will affect general performance not matter what you do. It'a as simple as that...

You'll probably need more GPU to counter act this.

Essentially, Resolve is managing 2 different outputs. You can try the HIDE UI OVERLAYS FOR OPTIMISED PLAYBACK in the video monitoring options. Be careful if you are using a LUT to calibrate your display. This function will add the LUT to your scopes.

Cheers!

Chuck B.
Montreal, QC.
Charles Boileau
Colorist
www.post-moderne.com
Montreal, Québec

Ingmar Rieger

PostSat Jun 20, 2015 11:05 am

Charles Boileau wrote:FYI I've done all the tests you can imagine in your circumstance... I've come to this conclusion.

Activating the Decklink will affect general performance not matter what you do. It'a as simple as that...

I know. But it’s not only activating the Decklink. Resolution seems to mater very much.

Charles Boileau wrote:You'll probably need more GPU to counter act this.

I’m not doing any processing right now and the GPU is far from work-saturated. Not even my monitor out LUT is on in my tests. (Which when I had switched it on didn’t seem to change playback speed at all!)

May the PCIe 2.0 be a problem? From my calculations it shouldn’t be a problem bandwidth wise at all but on the other side I don’t know what exactly Resolve is doing in the Background.

Charles Boileau wrote:Essentially, Resolve is managing 2 different outputs. You can try the HIDE UI OVERLAYS FOR OPTIMISED PLAYBACK in the video monitoring options. Be careful if you are using a LUT to calibrate your display. This function will add the LUT to your scopes.

Have to try this option when I’m back home. Output LUT is now problem. Yes, by default output LUT is applied to scopes too but you can set another or no LUT in the LUT configuraiton panel for the scopes.

Btw. is there a way to deactivate the GUI preview to only have one output for testing?

As I wrote earlier I’m planning my next system currently and would like to find out what the key points are to get more performance. Basic will most likely be a dual Xeon board with one 8*2.6 GHz Xeon for the starts and the later addition of one more maybe. GPU wise I have planned to take my GPU over for now, as my wished setup (2-3 Titan X) are a bit expensive ;-)
Greetings
Ingmar Rieger

Ingmar Rieger

PostSat Jun 27, 2015 4:24 pm

A small follow up about something that made me even more confused:

Yesterday I started Resolve to just test the video levels on exports from FCPX in ProRes vs. Tiff. Playback was Realtime with the ProRes and suddenly I realised, that the output was Video levels (monitor expecting Data-Levels). After switching Playback performance dropped from 24fps to about 22fps (HD Output).

Then I switched to 4K output and tried Video vs. Data levels. Playback in Data levels about 15fps as I wrote earlier. Video levels was about 17fps or so. So where may the problem be? Doesn't make sense for me that this setting changes playback so much!
Greetings
Ingmar Rieger

Henrik Cednert

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 9:53 am

Hello

Did you made any progress here. Turns out our playback issues was in part hugely because of the decklink 4k extreme. =(( haven't attacked it yet but stumbled over this thread and thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
Henrik Cednert | cto | cbb | Filmlance International | www.filmlance.se

Ingmar Rieger

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 11:02 am

Henrik Cednert wrote:Did you made any progress here. Turns out our playback issues was in part hugely because of the decklink 4k extreme. =(( haven't attacked it yet but stumbled over this thread and thought I'd ask.

No progress here. Talked to BMD at IBC this year and as far as I got it the problem is that for this they have to access data from the GPU at two stages and this takes it's time. Maybe it sometimes improves a bit but nothing yet really...
Greetings
Ingmar Rieger

Return to DaVinci Resolve