Resolve Audio Playback Problem

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Scott Summers

Resolve Audio Playback Problem

PostSun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm

I know this is probably going to be a simple fix but I can't figure it out.

Backstory: I recorded my video's audio through a juiced link. I have the autodampining feature enabled on it. So, instead of recording my one microphone as the same audio on both the left and right track, it's different. My 1st track (left track) is 16db lower than track 2 (the right). This is in the event audio clips, I can save the audio by using the lower track.

Here's the problem, the timeline defaults all audio to track 1(the left track) and it duplicates it to both the left and right. So both left and right playback are track 1 and it completely ignored track 2. It doesn't even simply play both tracks at the same time. It chooses to use only the left track. I want my timeline to play all clips in the 2nd (right track) or at LEAST play both tracks at the same time so I can hear the normal audio. I can't find the setting. Any help?

TL:DR - Where is the setting to choose which audio tracks, from your source, that you want your timeline to playback?

Michael Sibley

Re: Resolve Audio Playback Problem

PostSun Jul 12, 2015 7:14 pm

I have done some testing on this audio issue. Resolve does indeed use the computer's default sound device for playback.

The digital distortion or "Clicks" is not caused by a problem with the sound device. The problem is with Resolve and how it uses computer resources. When you are at the Media window generally the sound will playback OK (not always, but most of the time). At the Edit window the audio problem will appear with Noticeable "Clicks" in various places on the time line. At the Color window the "Clicks" are at their worst.

All of this inconsistent behavior is due Resolves allocation of computer resources. The Color window uses the most resources so you hear the problem. The Edit window, I'm guessing) will produce more "Clicks" with addition of timelines or tracks.

Digital audio on a computer is finicky thing. It's very easy to disrupt the audio stream with some unrelated event. For example, one person reported the "Clicks" got worse when he moved the mouse. The mouse uses what is called "Interrupts." The sound device also uses "Interrupts." When computer resources are low each device using "Interrupts" has to wait it turn thus the "Clicking" (Digital Distortion gets worse.

I had a recording studio at one time. When I switched from hardware based recording to computer based recording it took some time before I was able to get the computer and the audio software to work together without distortion issues. The first thing I did was turn off Windows "Sounds" feature because it can disrupt the audio stream when it attempts to play a sound. Also, it has to use those "Interrupts" to look for events that are mapped to sounds to take place.

Scott Summers

Re: Resolve Audio Playback Problem

PostSun Aug 02, 2015 12:11 am

Uh...I think you put that into the wrong post. lol. But you're welcome to help with my problem too. No one else has.

Return to DaVinci Resolve