LUT for the Blackmagic URSA

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sean van Berlo

LUT for the Blackmagic URSA

PostSun Jul 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Hey good people of the BM forums,

I am looking for a LUT for the Blackmagic URSA (on Davinci Resolve), since I notice I do not particularly like the look of the 'Davinci 4k film to Rec 709' LUT. Does anyone use or know of any LUTs for URSA footage shot in the 'Film' setting? Preferably free or for a reasonable price, since we are working on a very limited budget! (I like the LUT that is already provided on the 'main' display of the camera when checking footage but I could not find that)

Thank you guys so much.

adamroberts

Re: LUT for the Blackmagic URSA

PostSun Jul 12, 2015 6:30 pm

If I'm not mistaken the colour you are seeing on the built in LCD when set to Video is based on the "Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Film to Rec709 v2" LUT included in Resolve.

Are you viewing your footage on a property calibrated display?

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 4:14 am

You can also not use a LUT at all, just decode the material as BMD Film and then use the existing controls within Resolve to color-correct the image. Shoot a color chart (preferably a good one like the DSC Labs charts) and you'll know exactly what to tweak and how much. Without a chart, it's guesswork... but that can work effectively too, provided you have experience, good monitors, and accurate scopes.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

adamroberts

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 7:27 am

Yup. You can also make your own LUT once you have a look you like.

LUTs are not magic. They are simply mathematical transforms based on changes you can make with the basic colour correction tools inside resolve.

Sean van Berlo

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 8:12 am

Hey thanks guys, I'll check again for v2 and if I'm doing something wrong perhaps, it seemed my image came out a bit over saturated, perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Normally I would tweak the image from scratch, but it's for a 90 minute project so I really need to save myself some time where possible!

I'll check into making my own LUT, that's actually a great suggestion and it would still save time!

LennartBöwering

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 1:26 pm

Trying Hook's BMPC4K LUTs might be worth a shot as well.
You can find them easily with the search-function. I use them a lot (with my BMCC) as a starting point and tweak from there.

EDIT:
Here it is.... http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19731

Ingmar Rieger

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 2:10 pm

Hey Sean,

Sean van Berlo wrote:Hey thanks guys, I'll check again for v2 and if I'm doing something wrong perhaps, it seemed my image came out a bit over saturated, perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Normally I would tweak the image from scratch, but it's for a 90 minute project so I really need to save myself some time where possible!

I also don't like the look of the default LUTs. They aren't bad but not ideal. Have you tried ACES yet? Its a different concept but it's built in film-like/film-inspired rendering is a nice starting point.
Greetings
Ingmar Rieger

JamesParker

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 10:02 pm

hook's vibe lut is really great.
J.Parker
Creative Director

Nick Shaw

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 12:45 pm

adamroberts wrote:LUTs are not magic. They are simply mathematical transforms based on changes you can make with the basic colour correction tools inside resolve.

Not entirely true.

Some LUTs are made from a grade done with the built in colour tools, and in this case it is preferable to use the tools rather than the LUT (when I save a LUT from Resolve I always save an identically named DRX so I can go back to that).

LUTs which include a colour matrix or are derived from e.g. measured film responses are difficult, if not impossible, to match exactly using the standard tools.
Workflow Consultant, London UK
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

adamroberts

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 1:20 pm

Nick Shaw wrote:
adamroberts wrote:LUTs are not magic. They are simply mathematical transforms based on changes you can make with the basic colour correction tools inside resolve.

Not entirely true.

Some LUTs are made from a grade done with the built in colour tools, and in this case it is preferable to use the tools rather than the LUT (when I save a LUT from Resolve I always save an identically named DRX so I can go back to that).

LUTs which include a colour matrix or are derived from e.g. measured film responses are difficult, if not impossible, to match exactly using the standard tools.

True... while it would be near impossible to exactly match a LUT derived from measured film responses (the same could be said about a complex LUT created by hand with the tools inside Resolve) the gist of what I was saying still holds true. The LUT still only translates one set of colour info to another by applying some math. It's not doing anything else. It's not adding data that was not there.

Return to DaVinci Resolve