How to change used GPU?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dominique Bürki

How to change used GPU?

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi

I have problem with Resolve. I have 3 GPUs in my machine, 2x GTX580 and one GT520.
When i start Resolve and want to edit some footage, it's very laggy. So i get a look onto the GPU usage and saw, that my purest GPU is rendering for resolve. I want, that my two GTX580 are rendering for Resolve, how can I set that? I didn't find something like that in the preferences...

This is how it looks like in the nvidia's settings:

From left to right:
Secondary monitor over DVI
Primary monitor over HDMI (working monitor)
3th monitor over DVI-VGA
TV over HDMI

Anyone an idea how to fix this without deactivating SLI etc?

Thank you

greeez
Last edited by Dominique Bürki on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: How top change used GPU?

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 11:20 pm

Resolve does not like SLI, so that's a problem. Resolve will not use a card with displays connected as a GPU card, so that's a problem.

If you want Resolve to use both GTX580 cards as GPU cards, you need to remove the displays from the first GTX580 card. You will probably also have to not have SLI configured, but I'm not totally sure about that.

You can use the Resolve Preferences / System Overview display to see what Resolve is currently using as GUI and GPU cards.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Dominique Bürki

PostSat Dec 29, 2012 12:13 am

Hi Dwaine

Thanks for reply.
Hm what a pitty. :(
I'm close on buying a BMCC, but this is a no go so far. I can't always switch the SLI on and off and/or change the connection of the monitors.

Why does resolve only use the not connected card? This makes defently no sense. Please build in an option to choose the graficcard to render and which for GUI.

It is possible, all the other software use it that way, this is the first software I see it this way. ;)

Btw. it's really good performing on GPU so far :) I really love this tool, hopefully you can do something.

greez

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Dec 29, 2012 12:26 am

If a graphics card is being used to drive a display, it reduces the performance of the CUDA acceleration for Resolve. Therefore Resolve will only use a graphics card as a GPU card if there are no displays detected connected to the card. The only exception is if there is only one graphics card, then Resolve will use that card as both a GUI display card and a GPU acceleration card.

Resolve does this automatically, and I don't believe there are any plans to change that.

I also think cards in an SLI config interfere with CUDA acceleration as well, which is why that's not supported.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Dominique Bürki

PostSat Dec 29, 2012 2:16 pm

Ok this is comprohemsible, but why BMD not let the option open for the user to choose. It would be very nice if the standard is that Resolve choose it automatically, but the user have the option to change it. And I'll love you if you can forward this "idea" to the right place at BMD. :) ;)
I know it's just a little in programming, I'm also a software engineer :)

Thank you so far and a happy new year!

Best wishes

Return to DaVinci Resolve