Removing CUDA after migrating to new Mac

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chooser

Removing CUDA after migrating to new Mac

PostSun Jul 19, 2015 9:13 am

Hello

... searched long and hard but cannot seem to find away around this issue. I am sure it has been dealt with before.

Migrated from my old Mac Pro to a new 5K iMac and continually being prompted with the "Davinci Resolve has not found the CUDA Driver" message. Click OK then Resolve quits.

Any help appreciated.

Regards Hiroe

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Removing CUDA after migrating to new Mac

PostTue Jul 21, 2015 1:19 am

How did you "migrate" from the MacPro to the iMac?

The 5K iMac has an AMD GPU, so CUDA should not be involved.

I suspect you've somehow copied your Resolve files and settings over from the old MacPro, and they would not be correct for the iMac.

The easiest way to fix this would be to uninstall Resolve and trash the /Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder and then reinstall Resolve. If you do this, you will lose the links to your database(s) and your Resolve Preferences will need to be set up from scratch, though they probably should be anyway. If you backed up your database(s) on the old system, and restored them on the new system, then losing the old database links would not be an issue.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Paul Beauchamp

Re: Removing CUDA after migrating to new Mac

PostWed Jul 22, 2015 7:19 pm

Just a heads up - I recently got a new Macbook Pro Retina with the Radeon R9 M370X.

I migrated my old profile from my 2013 Retina and has the same issues as Chooser.

To fix, I removed these files manually:

/Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist
/Library/PreferencePanes/CUDA Preferences.prefPane
/System/Library/Extensions/CUDA
/System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA
/usr/local/cuda/lib/libcuda.dylib

I also did what Dwaine said - removed resolve, trashed the Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder.

Now everything is back up and running on the AMD chip, no weird messages about CUDA and no crashing.

Return to DaVinci Resolve