Suggestions for improvement

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Suggestions for improvement

PostTue Sep 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
John Sellars wrote:Scene change beep. I am surprised even the Resolve panel doesn't have this feature. Priceless for scene detected timelines… even a chirp to the system speaker would be appreciated!

I not only want that, I wish we could scene detect selected clip(s) in a timeline in the color window. It'd be nice to be able to scene detect just a short segment if a new chunk came in.

+2
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Dermot Shane

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 3:06 pm

my feature request of the day is offset/contrast/pivot per color channel directly - with out resorting to using a splitter/combiner node

in both Nucoda and Baselight,one can toggle controls between linked and unlinked / per channel

further to this mapping Offset/contrast/pivot to the rings rather than the knobs, and follow the per channel choices, those should also be mapped to buttons

Stepan Ko

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 8:50 am

Whilst slowly draging the pan and tilt values in the inspector in the edit page the values jump to something like 7000 after you go past 200. Makes the operator look like an idiot when done in front of clients.

And can we please make the baziers more responsive? Please?

Can we please fix the inability to make keyframes using keyboard in the dropdown menu of the node? Right now you can make keyframes for the first bazier curve but not for the second one, that one you have to make with the mouse (which is soooo painful). Same thing applies to circular windows.

Can we please fix the inability to keyframe qualifier blur in the dropdown menu rather than the whole node? For some reason right now when you keyframe the qualifier in the dropdown menu (rather than keyframing the whole node and it's grade) everything works except qualifier blur.

I'm sure all you guys with full panels don't have these issues, because otherwise you'd raise them but when you're on a wave with a keyboard this is reaaaally annoying

JP Perry

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 3:48 am

Some minor improvements I would like to see:

-a way to toggle audio FX on and off.
-a way to set a poster frame for projects in the Project Manager.
-a way to check for software updates from within Resolve

And a major improvement:
-multiple timelines open on screen at once
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 4:28 am

a toggle in the setting menu where (in color) i can either jump to the next shot at first frame (current behavior) OR jump to poster frame.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Stepan Ko

PostSun Nov 08, 2015 3:21 pm

Would it be possible to implement some sort of timeline renaming feature where you could batch rename clips in the timeline (shot1, shot2, shot3 etc.) automatically and sequentially? This would need to be done in a way which does not actually change the name of the original clip that the timeline event comes from (it stays A001B003.R3D or whatever name it was given by the camera but in timeline it shows up as Shot_01) and should keep all timecode and all initial metadata. This should then be available as a variable (for example %{timeline_name} ) to be able to export individual source clips named Shot_01, Shot_02, Shot_03 for VFX to work on.

This functionality is really handy in Nuke Studio where after you conformed everything you do a sequential rename of all shots in the timeline , and then export them for VFX. You are able to put in a %{shot} variable in the export options so that the clips come out named Shot_01, Shot_02, SHot_03.

This would make resolve a much more integrated online and conform tool. I like how nuke studio works with this, but for quicker turnaroud project I really just want to use resolve for all this.

Geert Geerits

PostMon Nov 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Some improvements I would like to see:

- Better support for UHD monitor -> Bigger characters.
- More info about the clips on the timeline - > Clip duration.
MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus, Intel CPU i9-11900K, 64GB DDR4
NVidia RTX 3080 V2 10GB GDDR6X v.516.59, DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
2x M.2 2TB, LaCie 12TB 2Big Dock Raid 0 USB-C
Windows 11 Home 21H2, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.0.00036, Desktop Video 12.4.0.0

Stepan Ko

PostTue Nov 10, 2015 11:14 am

It would be nice to be able to have favourites in the deliver page when selecting the folder to render to as-well as in the relinking dialog. It doesn't make much sence to have favourites only in media page.

Now that you can Cmd+click and select several nodes in the node tree, it would be nice to be able to reset the grade whilst they are selected. It would also be nice to be able to move all of them once they are all selected (at the same time I mean)? It would also be nice to be able to copy and paste all of them at the same time. The copy pasting would save quite a bit of time when you need to paste several node onto a different shot.

I would also be nice to be able to just infinitely zoom out of the node tree like you can do in Nuke. And it would be nice if the source and output nodes wouldn't snap to a certain place cause this just creates a mess when the node tree is a little bit bigger.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Nov 11, 2015 5:58 am

There's some very good ideas here. I not only would like to be able to cut and paste individual nodes or multiple nodes, I'd still like to have a Previous Node / Next Node keyboard shortcut (which has been requested before).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Stepan Ko

PostWed Nov 11, 2015 11:28 am

Marc I'm pretty sure there is a button for it on the wave at least, but I never use it cause it woks funky with paralelled nodes. And I always have those...

James Ashbolt

PostFri Nov 13, 2015 3:15 am

I would love to be able to use the horizontal number pad for shortcuts.
I have all these mapped in premiere for the essentials: in/out, clear, insert, overwrite etc...
At the moment it defaults to enter in timecode :(
- J

Nicolas Ibieta

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 8:29 pm

Hello, I will like to add the need to be able to COPY and PASTE the Time-codes, from the timeline, the clips, the master, etc. So you can go to a specific time-code for instance, I work mostly in ONLINE conforming and this is very basic to have.

Best!
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve