Will exporting XYZ 16bit TIFF changes the brightness?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ariel Cheng

Will exporting XYZ 16bit TIFF changes the brightness?

PostFri Jul 31, 2015 12:14 am

Hi,

We do color grade in calibrated DCI P3 cinema projector Christie CP2215, the P3 white point is standard 0.314/0.351. Because some environmental issues the lamp brightness can only keep in 20fL, we still considered to set up an ND filter to lower it.

Anyway We still finished a color grading job last week then exported XYZ 16bit tiff to create DCP by easyDCP creator 3.3. When played the DCP I found the image became darker and the color temperature is lower(yellowing). The projector setting is XYZ color space/gamma 2.6 and calibrate well, only has the brightness issue like I said before(too light=20fL).

Then I did a simple test: I exported a full range white(1023) XYZ 16bit tiff then create DCP by easyDCP in the same way, the XYZ white DCP is more darker and yellow then the standard XYZ white pattern build in projector.

Could it be possible when I exported XYZ 16bit tiff will keep everything in standard DCI 14fL? So the DCP image is darker and cause color temperature goes down? Or any other reason cause this situation?

Thanks for replying.

Tashi Trieu

Re: Will exporting XYZ 16bit TIFF changes the brightness?

PostMon Aug 03, 2015 6:44 pm

To clarify, are you exporting using the "XYZ 16 bits" option? Are you applying a DCI-P3 to XYZ conversion LUT at any stage in your process or just as a viewing LUT?
Tashi Trieu
www.tashitrieu.com
Colorist
Los Angeles, CA

Return to DaVinci Resolve