Davinci Resolve 12 free version for Linux

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dmitry Plutalovskiy

Davinci Resolve 12 free version for Linux

PostFri Jul 31, 2015 1:44 pm

Hello!

I thank BMD for it's efforts to bring your software to simply users!
I'm Linux user. I want to try free lite version of Davinci Resolve 12 for Linux, but i see only versions for Windows and OSX. Why you have only commercial version for Linux?
Can I hope that you release a free version for Linux users too?

Thank you!

Ellory Yu

Re: Davinci Resolve 12 free version for Linux

PostMon Aug 03, 2015 6:11 am

There's never been a free lite version for Linux. I think asking for one is wishful thinking.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Dmitry Plutalovskiy

PostSun Aug 30, 2015 1:22 pm

Not understand this politic. I don't need source code. I want free version for Linux, especially since the version for Linux is present.

Marcin Nowak

PostMon Nov 02, 2015 4:53 pm

"If we do not know what the deal is, then the deal is money."

Linux version of Resolve is prepared for specific hardware+software environment. There is no "universal" installer.
The main advantage of Linux, the freedom, is it's worst enemy in that case. Supporting software for almost infinite configuration of libraries, desktop environments, etc, is quite hard and time-consuming, I think. It seems that Linux market is still to small for regular support.

Another case may lay in licenses for additional libraries (ie. Prores is natively supported on Apple machines, but not on Linux - not oficially, and AFAIK it can't be). But for example - EditShare does not include encoder for Prores in Linux version, but we can buy additional DNxHD license.

The only way is I see is to collaborate with Linux community around each important distribution. The community can prepare environment and installers for Resolve, and get a part of responsibility for stability, leaving Blackmagic to support only own environment. The only what is needed is a "lite" version of Resolve brought to us to start working with it. And our contribution will consist of regular promotion of Resolve on Linux desktops/workstations, building the market, and free installation recipes for full/pro version.

Yeah, this is a kind of beautiful dream. Maybe it will be real someday. :)

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 3:05 pm

prores is on the Linux resolve.

personally I'm done with free software: you like it? you buy it.

there is no support for other panels on Linux other that the BM one, the next request will be panel support.

in a few years instead to pay for the software simeone will pay us to use out. ..
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marcin Nowak

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 3:27 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:prores is on the Linux resolve.

Resolve is on the Apple authorized third-party products list, but we don't know is this related to linux version ;)
Linux can encode ProRes via FFMpeg, but Apple will never accept it as working/authorized/stable solution.

I read somewhere that Apple only supports OSX and hardware encoders due to license restrictions, or something like that.

How Resolve encodes ProRes on Linux? - I don't know, but ffmpeg is bundled together with Linux Resolve.

But this shouldn't be a real reason of missing Resolve"Lite" on Linux...

waltervolpatto

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 5:37 pm

i repeat myself: prores is fully supported in the paid Linux version of resolve 11/12.

no fuss.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Marcin Nowak

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 5:48 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:i repeat myself: prores is fully supported in the paid Linux version of resolve 11/12.

no fuss.

Ok, great. ProRes is not a problem anymore.

But the problem still remains - there is no Linux version, and no Lite Linux version.

According to requirements pointed in [url]http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/DaVinci_Resolve_Linux_Config_Guide_2014-06-24.pdf
[/url] the RedHat Centos/RHEL 6.4 is required. This is not a Linux version, but only RedHat version.

I'm writing on the forum about two things:
* release Lite version for Linux
* build installers for many Linux distros (the Lite version will be very helpful to do that job); the goal is to install Resolve on other distro than RHEL/Centos.

Then I will buy Resolve PRO.

waltervolpatto

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 5:55 pm

buy the pro so the programmers can be paid to do a free version....

Marcin Nowak

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 6:23 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:buy the pro so the programmers can be paid to do a free version....

Probably I don't understand you, sorry. I would like to say that I'll buy pro (linux) when it'll be available as a real linux version (not only Centos/RHEL).

And please note that there is a lite version of Resolve but not distributed for Linux. If the problem is in installation procedure/environment, Linux commuity can help to make it work. As a side effect Resolve Pro might be available for other distros thant RHEL/Centos.

EditShare has beta linux program, the community works and reporting bugs on lite version of LWKS, and final product is getting better and very stable. As a "side effect", guys who want to make money on editing movies, are simply buying pro licenses.

I don't want Resolve to be FREE. Export/render can be disabled or reduced to very low quality. I would like to have next great software on the linux-based platform, and I would like to help to do that (if it is possible). As the final result I would like to build stable platform(s) based on favourite Linux distro.

Kind Regards,
Marcin

Martin Schitter

PostThu Nov 05, 2015 12:39 pm

Marcin Nowak wrote:I don't want Resolve to be FREE. Export/render can be disabled or reduced to very low quality.

this looks like a kind of unnecessary masochism to me.
why should a linux version be much more weak and unattractive compared to mac os and widows version?
i think, users of this platform should simply ask for getting treated equal. nothing more, nothing less.

i don't think you will find any serious technical hindrances publishing a package of this software, that works on nearly any actual linux distribution. most applications with similar neads of hardware access/acceleration and video related drivers (nuke, natron, shotcut, lightworks...) the simply pack all the relevant libraries into huge software bundles to minimize their dependencies. this is not an optimal solution in consideration of advanced linux packaging systems, but it works very well in practice.

it's only this stupid hardware dongle, that doesn't allow us to search for solutions ourself and share it with other users. that's the crucial point, where we should really ask for some change: a 'lite' version for linux, like on other operating systems.

this topic was asked many times here in the blackmagic forums, but we never got an answer from official representatives. they never articulated, why they boycott ordinary linux users -- those, that do not have $30.000 on disposal, like most actual mac and linux resolved users -- in this way? i would really like to hear their point of view concerning this question, instead of just repeating always the same assumptions and suggestions.

i'm actually using resolve on a virtual windows machine using GPU passthrough in a linux environment for a lot of serious work, but i would really like to substitute this solution by an even more efficient and less complicated native linux setup.

waltervolpatto

PostThu Nov 05, 2015 9:39 pm

i'm actually using resolve on a virtual windows machine using GPU passthrough in a linux environment for a lot of serious work, but i would really like to substitute this solution by an even more efficient and less complicated native linux setup

do you see multiples gpu with this setup?

Martin Schitter

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 2:38 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
i'm actually using resolve on a virtual windows machine using GPU passthrough in a linux environment...

in my case there is only one nvidia card available on the host, but i think, you can pass through as many PCI cards as you like. it's more hindering, that you can not use this cards one the linux side without a restart when you do not need the windows virtual machine. that's very annoying.

but i wouldn't recommend this setup to anybody -- it's only a stupid workaround to get access to resolve at all. and that's in fact the only windows application i use frequently for editing, grading and conforming tasks. everything else i prefer to manage by native linux tools (e.g. nuke and nuke-studio non-commercial became a very interesting alternative recently -- they do not discriminate linux users.)

if you know any workaround, to use resolve on linux in a more useful way, please contact me. it would not matter, if a little bit of debian porting or other development work and beta testing is necessary.

waltervolpatto

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 3:28 am

Martin Schitter wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:
i'm actually using resolve on a virtual windows machine using GPU passthrough in a linux environment...

in my case there is only one nvidia card available on the host, but i think, you can pass through as many PCI cards as you like. it's more hindering, that you can not use this cards one the linux side without a restart when you do not need the windows virtual machine. that's very annoying.

but i wouldn't recommend this setup to anybody -- it's only a stupid workaround to get access to resolve at all. and that's in fact the only windows application i use frequently for editing, grading and conforming tasks. everything else i prefer to manage by native linux tools (e.g. nuke and nuke-studio non-commercial became a very interesting alternative recently -- they do not discriminate linux users.)

if you know any workaround, to use resolve on linux in a more useful way, please contact me. it would not matter, if a little bit of debian porting or other development work and beta testing is necessary.

thanks for the info, it was just a curiosity.

we have licensed linux boxes...

Return to DaVinci Resolve