Linux Hangs on Boot

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

David Franzo

Linux Hangs on Boot

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 5:32 pm

I am using the install DVD for Resolve on CentOS 6.6 and the install was fine, but it hangs on boot. After the loading bar is filed, it turns grey and hangs. I hit escape to see the log and it hangs when it tries to initiate the DVS card. There is no DVS card installed so how do I get it to stop attempting to initiate it?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Linux Hangs on Boot

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 5:37 pm

What type of graphics cards are in the system?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

David Franzo

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 5:41 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:What type of graphics cards are in the system?

4 QuadroPlex 2200
1 QuadroFX 3800

I know these are very old cards and the whole system is being trashed when Resolve 12 comes out.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 5:57 pm

The problem you are describing normally happens because the X Windows graphical environment can't start up for some reason.

I might suspect that the NVIDIA driver in the CentOS 6.6 image is not going to work with those cards. It's already been stated that Resolve 12 does not work with those cards.

Did you ever have Resolve Linux running with that QuadroFX 3800 card? And if so, what OS version was that?
Dwaine Maggart

David Franzo

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 9:54 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:The problem you are describing normally happens because the X Windows graphical environment can't start up for some reason.

I might suspect that the NVIDIA driver in the CentOS 6.6 image is not going to work with those cards. It's already been stated that Resolve 12 does not work with those cards.

Did you ever have Resolve Linux running with that QuadroFX 3800 card? And if so, what OS version was that?

Yes our current system is running Resolve 11.3.1 on CentOS 6.4 but with Nvidia driver 340.32 which supports both the Quadros

I see that this DVD image contains driver 343.22 which doesn't support either the FX series or the Plex S, so I suppose that's the issue.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 06, 2015 12:12 am

Probably. So just install the 340.32 driver, and hopefully issue fixed.
Dwaine Maggart

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 06, 2015 1:34 am

David Franzo wrote:
Dwaine Maggart wrote:What type of graphics cards are in the system?

4 QuadroPlex 2200
1 QuadroFX 3800

I know these are very old cards and the whole system is being trashed when Resolve 12 comes out.

Its good to hear these GPUs are planned to be replaced as they don't support the CUDA 2.0 compute capability needed for v12.

Please be sure to refer to the latest config guide before you purchase your new hardware. It's updated for v12.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Kaleim Nathani

PostWed Nov 04, 2015 9:21 am

Hi There,

We are experiencing the same issue as above, except with a newer graphics card. We are running BM's version of CentOS 6.6 but it hangs on boot and fails to load the GUI.

Some info about our system: we have the SuperMicro 7047 GR-TRF, all parts were bought according to the 2014 Linux spec guide. However, for the GPUs we are using the FirePro W9100.

Anyway, can't seem to load the GUI. I sent an email to BM support about this issue... I'm assuming we need to get the AMD drivers installed, but I'm not sure how to do that if I can't boot the OS. Anyway, if someone else has had experience with this issue then I'd love a response, if not I'll post the answer when I hear back from BM. I'm sure we won't be the last organization to try using AMD cards with Linux Resolve.

Return to DaVinci Resolve