Multicam Timelines Question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
Blaine Russom

Multicam Timelines Question

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 8:04 pm

Is there a way to create a Multicam Clip using an existing Timeline?

Or is there a way to create a Multicam Clip without using the "Create Multicam Clip" Function?

Tom Scollard

Re: Multicam Timelines Question

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 11:27 pm

I was wondering that as well.
MacBook Pro 2018 15-inch, 32GB ram, i7, 560 4GB internal graphics
Sonnet EGPU with Radeon RX 580
OSX Mojave 10.14.4

Scott Gilbertson

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 12:56 pm

Blaine Russom wrote:Is there a way to create a Multicam Clip using an existing Timeline?

+1 that feature request. It would totally solve the problem of auto sync not working when you have poor scratch audio or a lot of camera starts & stops while the audio recorders keep running. Manually sync everything in a timeline, convert to multicam, then drop into another timeline to pick your angles.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Xeon W3680, 48GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050

Iouri

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Scott Gilbertson wrote:
Blaine Russom wrote:Is there a way to create a Multicam Clip using an existing Timeline?

+1 that feature request. It would totally solve the problem of auto sync not working when you have poor scratch audio or a lot of camera starts & stops while the audio recorders keep running. Manually sync everything in a timeline, convert to multicam, then drop into another timeline to pick your angles.

Hi Scott, I'm totally on your side!!! From one's own experience to use a multicam projects like in Adobe CC/Avid/FCPX/Resolve I would say, that FCPX is the best for it, but I have the question to Resolve 12, what about if one of the camera angel while recording would stop, start and ect...????
In the logic way you should name each footage from that angleI. I tried it.
NOOOOOO, WAY, just a big mess!!!!!! In theory (like FCPX) all named files should be on one timeline.
But it's not working in Resolve. Plus, very bad sync by audio!!!!! Just hopeless!!!
So, I have a question, why Blackmagic is promoting multicam option when this option itself is very dodgy?
I would be happy if someone tells me I'm wrong.
Thank you

Radii Babanu

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 4:18 pm

+1
very bad audio synk.

Iouri wrote:
Hi Scott, I'm totally on your side!!! From one's own experience to use a multicam projects like in Adobe CC/Avid/FCPX/Resolve I would say, that FCPX is the best for it, but I have the question to Resolve 12, what about if one of the camera angel while recording would stop, start and ect...????
In the logic way you should name each footage from that angleI. I tried it.
NOOOOOO, WAY, just a big mess!!!!!! In theory (like FCPX) all named files should be on one timeline.
But it's not working in Resolve. Plus, very bad sync by audio!!!!! Just hopeless!!!
So, I have a question, why Blackmagic is promoting multicam option when this option itself is very dodgy?
I would be happy if someone tells me I'm wrong.
Thank you

Ru Cook

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi all, yeah have been testing D.V all day as a FCPX replacement & am very disappointed in the multicam function.

As a test I took an interview filmed from two angles (BMCC & BMPCC) + separate audio recorded on a tascam device.

FCPX synced them instantly & perfectly. Like *shockingly* fast + well.

Using the same footage in Resolve, it just threw up an error saying one of the angles wouldn't sync.

As an experiment I took the multicam clip with the two angles (one camera + one tascam/audio) that it would sync, & tried manually adding the second camera angle.

I did this by expanding the multicam clip & dragging in the 3rd 'angle' & manually syncing them.

All hell breaks loose when you do this, different audio/video lanes become randomly linked & it just basically isn't having any of it. I have lost a good couple of hours trying to make this bodge work.

If anyone can make this method work i'd be interesting in hearing about it ! :)

Don't think this feature is ready for primetime yet, unless all cameras are getting the same scratch audio feed, or timecode is being used.

Just my 2c worth...
Resolve Studio 18.1.3 : M1 Mac mini, OSX 12.6.5, 16gb. 2Tb internal
Pro Tools Ultimate. Blender. FCPX, Adobe CC

Justin Stephenson

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 2:25 pm

After futzing with it today (12 cam concert shoot) I believe I have a workaround:

- Make a Multi-cam clip with a bunch of "dummy clips." Make sure that the multi-cam timeline (open in timeline) has as many tracks as angles that you want.

- Replace the dummy clips with the clips you want to use in the multicam clip timeline.

- You can even copy paste from another timeline that you have prepared (IE a pluraleyes sync from premiere that you import as an xml- make sure that the V1 input source is selected on your top track in the timeline)

- Edit away.

Hope this might help.
Justin Stephenson
Moving Image Designer
http://justinstephenson.com
---------
18.6.4 Studio, W11 Pro, 13700K, Z690 ASUS ProArt, lots of M.2, NAS w 10Gbe mass storage, 128GB RAM, RTX4090, UltraStudio Monitor 3G -> FSI DM240. Micro Panel, Speed Editor.

Thomas Milde

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 6:23 am

My way for multicam (when automatic audio syncing doesn't work):
I have three tracks from a theater performance, which I sync manually by audio cues.
Then I compensate different lenghts with black video so each video track is the same length.
Then I convert each track into a compound clip.
Then I take these three compound clips and convert them into a multicam based on angle sync.

If you have interrupted video on one track because of stop/start of the camera, you only need to fill in black at the beginning and the end of the clip to compensate for length.

But I would be happy to learn an easier way...
Tech:
Win 10 pro, Ryzen 9 5900X, 128 GB, M.2 for media
RTX 3080 ti, Intensity Pro, DVR Studio + Fusion 18.x, Desktop Video 12.x

Sam Steti

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 9:31 am

Hi there,

I just ended a looong race made of 4 multicam projects that started up in end of June... I had to be very quick and efficient, no time to lose.
Even if I've been cutting multicam for years and years, I admit Resolve indeed lacks some tiny features which would save time.
Here's a summary of the workflow :

1/ I sync angles and audio in Plural Eyes. I know Resolve can do it based on audio but it had always been a mess when I tried, so I let Plural eyes do a job it perfectly knows.
BTW it's funny : on FCP7 there was no sync based on audio tracks and I used to manually sync with in points for years, though I had Plural Eyes yet. Now that Resolve is supposed to be able to do it right with audio (but doesn't for me), I use PE :P
PE is super simple, super efficient, super quick, you can throw anything in the main window... I wonder why I didn't use it sooner... Whatever...

2/ XML exported from PE and opened in Resolve results in stacked tracks. Then I choose a random moment around the beginning in the TL where every tracks are involved, and generally put a marker on the TL
a> I open (match frame) every track in the viewer and note their own TC
b> I open them again from media pool, go to this very TC and put a marker on each track
c> I select them all and right click to make the multi file...

3/ If anything has to be fine tuned, "open in TL" will do it. I sometimes add an audio track on the multicam TL too... In the end, not using plural eyes would be the same, I would just manually sync.

Now, what I'd love above all in Resolve is the point 2 I wrote here : viewtopic.php?f=21&t=60829&p=347431#p347431 , that's to say jog in the viewer to resync potential drifts (often for a few images only). I also found a link to my good old FCP7 which describes that, at the bottom of this page ("Resynchronizing Angles in the Viewer") : https://documentation.apple.com/en/fina ... tasks=true
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve