Grading monitor problem in Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dave Pultz

Grading monitor problem in Resolve

PostThu Aug 06, 2015 9:03 pm

I've added a grading monitor for my Resolve set-up via UltraStudio SDI & am having problems with it losing sync. The picture is quite good, but it will alternately lose sync (and picture) then reconnect on a repeated basis. The hard drive I'm reading from is a Samsung Portable SSD T1, so read/write is quite fast. Is this a settings problem in Resolve or perhaps the monitor? (Using a Sony LMD-2110W with the SDI option) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pat Inhofer

Re: Grading monitor problem in Resolve

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 2:13 pm

Which Ultrastudio are you running?

Sounds to me like the Ultrastudio may be faulty. BM has a phone number you can call - I'd go that route to see if you need a hardware swap.

Also, check to make sure the frame size / frame rate you're outputting is supported by your model. If your project is defaulting something like 23.976psf I'd switch to the non-segmented monitoring in your Project Preferences and see if that helps.

- patrick
Patrick Inhofer
Colorist | Owner, TaoOfColor.com & MixingLight.com

Subscribe to the awesome, free, and (mostly) weekly Color Grading Newsletter! www.TaoOfColor.com/newsletter

Dermot Shane

Re: Grading monitor problem in Resolve

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 5:24 pm

i have an similar / older LMD23w, and it's hdsdi I/O card is becomeing a bit problematic , not bad considering i've had it in use for decade now.... i would l try re-setting the card in the chassis, or swap it into the other slot..

age, heat and power cycles take their toll

It's good enough still as a confidence monitor in the machine room, or on a Avid, but even when brand new i would not use it for gradeing

Return to DaVinci Resolve