beta2, Color Wheels icons

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Eddy Juillerat

beta2, Color Wheels icons

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 1:27 pm

I see (very very) small RGB lines under their values. Seems to be my laptop display that crushes some interface's part.
In the Color panel, Color Wheels, bottom bar:

The 7 little icons are not really useful, aside for the action Contrast that is more known.
There's too many of them to be clear. And they don't describe visually well the action in my view because these actions or tasks are subtle. Its difficult to translate them into an understandable icon.
Personly I never look at icons, they distract me.

At least, make the icons about color action colored, and let the other ones grey.

Their order is not clear to me (serie 2). Is this because of a worklow order?:
Highlights - Color Boost - Shadows - Mid Tones

Compare to dark to light, then color:
Shadows - Mid Tones - Highlights - Color Boost
Which is the same order than the color wheels, lift, gamma, gain.

Maybe it's a total newbie idea...
Last edited by Eddy Juillerat on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cameras: [BMPCC4K - Panasonic Lumix lenses] - [BMCC 2,5K EF - Sigma EX lenses]
System: Windows 10 pro 64 bits SSD - 5.1 - Resolve 18.5
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

Remco johannes

Re: beta2, Color Wheels icons

PostSun Aug 09, 2015 1:13 pm

Eddy Juillerat wrote:Nice to see the (very very) small RGB lines under their values. Nice and discreet solution, better than the one I proposed.
? I am clearly missing something

Eddy Juillerat wrote:The 7 little icons are not really useful, aside for the action Contrast that is more known.
There's too many of them to be clear. And they don't describe visually well the action in my view because these actions or tasks are subtle. Its difficult to translate them into an understandable icon.
Personly I never look at icons, they distract me.
agreed

Eddy Juillerat wrote:At least, make the icons about color action colored, and let the other ones grey.

Their order is not clear to me (serie 2). Is this because of a worklow order?:
Highlights - Color Boost - Shadows - Mid Tones

Compare to dark to light, then color:
Shadows - Mid Tones - Highlights - Color Boost
Which is the same order than the color wheels, lift, gamma, gain.

Agreed, besides that, the name mid tones is misleading because it is more a mid sharpening then a midtone boost. i think "mid sharpening" or "mid detail" (like it used to called) or " mid pop" is a bit better.

Shadows - Mid Pop- Highlights - Color Boost
it's all in the name i guess

Regards,

Remco Johannes

Dermot Shane

PostSun Aug 09, 2015 7:51 pm

Eddy Juillerat wrote:Nice to see the (very very) small RGB lines under their values. Nice and discreet solution, better than the one I proposed.

The 7 little icons are not really useful, aside for the action Contrast that is more known.[/b]

ummm those 7 icons? like contrast / pivot / saturation

add in exposure (called offset n Resolve) that's the basis of LOG gradeing...

they get alot of use in my suite...

Remco johannes

PostSun Aug 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:

The 7 little icons are not really useful, aside for the action Contrast that is more known.[/b]

ummm those 7 icons? like contrast / pivot / saturation

add in exposure (called offset n Resolve) that's the basis of LOG gradeing...

there are actualy 9 in primary wheels/bars , I think he meant those
Conrt, pivot, sat, hue, L Mix, High, Col Boost, shad, mid
Dermot Shane wrote:they get alot of use in my suite...

I think nobody did question the usefulness of those functionalities, just the icons and the sequence/placement of those icons

Remco Johannes

Dermot Shane

PostSun Aug 09, 2015 9:01 pm

ahhhhh.. i misunderstood...

i use panels about 99% of the time i'm gradeing, and the log funcctions are mapped to all of them, the others (mid boost / shadow / highlights / color boost) are mapped to the big panel and Elements, so i guess where the data readouts are on the UI on ever entered my mind...

Eddy Juillerat

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 10:16 am

Remco johannes wrote:
? I am clearly missing something

I think it's my laptop display that crush some part of the interface...

I don't install beta versions no my work computer anymore. Last time, installed beta, uninstall, then I loose a project without succeeding of getting it back, even the files seems present in the database.
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

Pat Inhofer

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 9:56 pm

Eddy Juillerat wrote:I think it's my laptop display that crush some part of the interface...

It is. On a larger display you can put Resolve in window mode and resize the interface smaller to see how all the text prompts next to the icons disappear once you get to around 1920 wide.

With the text gone, half the icons are complete mysteries. You need to hover over them to see what they are (and half the time the tool tip doesn't appear). On the plus side, it really encourages you to move to a tablet and develop muscle memory, so you don't need to look at the icons to know what they do :roll:
Patrick Inhofer
Colorist | Owner
MixingLight.com

Eddy Juillerat

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 7:55 am

Thanks Pat.
I didn't thought about using my tablet for Resolve. But my remark was about my earlier suggestion about the interface: shooting de "RGB" letters under their values and replacing them by colored lines or simply coloring boxfields. To win some space. Then when trying the Beta2 on my tiny laptop monitor, I thought developpers changed that.

Return to DaVinci Resolve