Film convert in Resolve 12 is a MASSIVE failure.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Cliff Secord

Film convert in Resolve 12 is a MASSIVE failure.

PostSun Aug 09, 2015 8:35 am

IDK if anyone is using it but Holy cow. Nearly every rendered shot had a glitch. Half red frames, half rendered/half not, a weird inverted Warhol bar along the top, flashing, settings lagging from previous clip (like a previous B&W clip would make the following color clip B&W). It did almost nothing right. I test rendered a couple single clips to see if it worked before committing and it was fine. On final render in long form it turned into the Titanic.

Colin Palmar

Re: Film convert in Resolve 12 is a MASSIVE failure.

PostSun Aug 09, 2015 9:57 am

It's working fine here on Windows 8.1.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Aug 09, 2015 1:15 pm

Which operating system? What kind of hardware? What kind of GPU?

I just finished an 15-minute HD render tonight from 4K R3Ds and used a smattering of TNR and also OFX plug-ins, and -- knock on wood -- had zero glitches. This is on OSX 10.10.3, nMP with 16GB of RAM and dual D700s. Couldn't get real time; a lot of it was 12-16fps, but I'd gladly take that for no glitches.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Aug 09, 2015 3:14 pm

Which system? At work we have full specced Linux and Macs and I don't see the issue.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Cliff Secord

PostSun Aug 09, 2015 3:47 pm

Using OS X 10.10.4, CUDA 7.0.52 and full version of Resolve Beta 2.

Rig; 12 core 3.43GHz Mac Pro tower with dual Nvidia GTX770's (the 4Gb ones) and 64GB of RAM. Reading and rendering to and from separate drives.

Thought about changing the render option on Filmcovert back to CPU instead of GPU but there's no convenient way to do it other than selecting each node 858 times and changing them individually (literally)....

The problem was greatly reduced by rending the whole show as a single clip instead of individual clips. Rendering as a single clip also stopped the massive sync drift caused by rendering single clips...come to think of it, rendering as 'individual source clips' is causing most of my problems.

davidanderson

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 3:45 am

Have you tried it with OpenCL instead of CUDA?

Cliff Secord

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 5:01 am

davidanderson wrote:Have you tried it with OpenCL instead of CUDA?

I actually was rendering in GPU mode which is labeled OpenCL in the Filmconvert tab. Did you mean in the OFX plugin or in Resolve proper? Tried switching to CPU on a few clips but it's hard to tell because the problem is inconsistent. If I render them one at a time they're fine (as in 'render this clip' one at a time). If I try to render the whole project out as individual clips it's total mayhem. Render entire sequence as single clip has far fewer problems, but still glitchy.

Gonna keep trying variants to see what I can suss out.

Cliff Secord

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 5:11 am

IDK if the type of glitch is a clue to anyone code-wise but there's a lot of top 1/3 of the frame flashing, upside down backward strips of multiple frames in black and white (looks like a Warhol painting), clips going B&W mid-shot, black horizontal bars strobing, ghost images of previous frames, half of a previous frame from another shot in the middle of the next split 50/50.

It's a bizarre mess.

Cliff Secord

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 5:53 am

Okay, I'm perplexed. I've tried using just one GPU to render instead of two, switched between auto/CUDA/OpenCL, used GPU and CPU in the plugin, re-rendered tests as individual clips and single; no luck. The errors are seemingly random and nothing I do changes anything.

I can re-render a glitched shot as a single clip separately and it turns out fine - but this would mean rendering the entire project shot-by-shot. Therefore the fork in the road seems to happen when rendering the whole project at once. The errors no not happen in any shots that do not have Filmconvert applied.

Tom Early

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 11:06 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Which operating system? What kind of hardware? What kind of GPU?

the amount of time these queries come up, it seems a good idea if BMD just force everyone to submit computer specs as part of their user profile, just like everyone has to enter their real name. It would help both those asking questions and anyone attempting to answer. There could be a popup in the margin of every post where you can hover over it and get someone's system specs that way.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Pat Inhofer

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Cliff Secord wrote: a single clip separately and it turns out fine - but this would mean rendering the entire project shot-by-shot. Therefore the fork in the road seems to happen when rendering the whole project at once. The errors no not happen in any shots that do not have Filmconvert applied.

I've found the folks at Filmconvert to be responsive. I'd advise contacting them directly and see what they say—especially since this seems specific to your config.
Patrick Inhofer
Colorist | Owner, TaoOfColor.com & MixingLight.com

Subscribe to the awesome, free, and (mostly) weekly Color Grading Newsletter! www.TaoOfColor.com/newsletter

Blaine Russom

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 3:47 am

Everything fine here with the 2012 MBP

Cliff Secord

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 am

Another interesting observation - Resolve 12 doesn't seem to be utilizing my second GPU. I've got two 4GB GTX770's, Resolve sees them and everything seems okay. Used Neat Video's optimization feature to determine that both GPUs and 2 CPUs were optimal for speed. Rendered at 6 FPS. experimenting with different configs to see if I could find the culprit with Filmconvert to my to find my render times with one GPU were identical as with two.

Is this maybe a multithread issue?

Cliff Secord

PostWed Aug 12, 2015 5:44 am

The verdict is in; it's totally random. You cannot render a project all at once without it being full of glitches. So the only way to get this out of 12 is to render the entire thing one shot at a time. All 900 shots.

UGH.

Tom Early

PostWed Aug 12, 2015 10:36 am

Cliff Secord wrote:The verdict is in; it's totally random. You cannot render a project all at once without it being full of glitches. So the only way to get this out of 12 is to render the entire thing one shot at a time. All 900 shots.

UGH.

can you not just render out everything without it as a single file then bring that back in so you're only dealing with a single clip?
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Aug 12, 2015 2:45 pm

Can you cache output and export that?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Cliff Secord

PostWed Aug 12, 2015 4:26 pm

Tom Early wrote:
Cliff Secord wrote:The verdict is in; it's totally random. You cannot render a project all at once without it being full of glitches. So the only way to get this out of 12 is to render the entire thing one shot at a time. All 900 shots.

UGH.

can you not just render out everything without it as a single file then bring that back in so you're only dealing with a single clip?

I tried that, no dice. I've tried every combination of setting, I've tried one GTX vs two (physically removed the second card). I even tried rendering 10 shot groups thinking I could render in batches then re-assemble elsewhere. Nope.

The worst part is the problem moves around. If the glitches happened in the same place I might be able to figure it out but they never happen in the same place twice. It's like there's a cache or buffer issue happening somewhere.

If you mean export the entire project without Filmconvert, then bring it back - I can't. Every shot is tweaked individually within filmconvert. I'd still have to 'scene detect' to cut it up and then - shudder - re-correct each shot. For the amount of work involved It'd be easier to just render each clip individually at that point.

waltervolpatto wrote:Can you cache output and export that?

Gonna try that today. I'll let you know what happens.

Cliff Secord

PostWed Aug 12, 2015 5:37 pm

Just tried caching. It still glitched but caching allowed me to render more shots before errors appeared than without. So this way I could probably get it out by rendering 10 clips individually at a time.

Cliff Secord

PostWed Aug 12, 2015 5:45 pm

So the workaround for anyone having this problem;

Use the render cache in the color panel under playback. When you output, render as 'individual source clips' (exporting single clip creates more errors than individual). The errors appear on screen while you're rendering so you can keep track of where they're happing and go back and just re-render the shots that freak out individually.

It's a fiasco, but it's working for now. Thanks Walter!

Return to DaVinci Resolve