Quick Thoughts on Resolve 12

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Abdelrahman Magdy

Quick Thoughts on Resolve 12

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi. I have been testing the Beta version of Resolve 12 since it was released. I was mainly testing as an NLE since I am considering whether it would be possible to migrate from Premiere Pro to Resolve. There are some issues that need to be fixed to make the life an editor better.

1) I should be able to change the default project settings. Most of the time I use the same settings, and, unfortunately, I don't use the default ones. It is very annoying for me that each time I start a new project on Resolve, I have to go through changing the settings one by one to suit my needs. The only workaround I have right now is to create an empty project with the desired settings, and then right-click it to load its configuration to the new projects I create. It works, but it is just not the right way of doing things.

2) We should have the choice between importing images as sequence or as individual images. I tend to have lots of image sequences that I would like to import as individual files (to time each one individually), but Resolve allows me to import them only as an image sequence. Again, there is a work around for that, by adding alphabetical letter after the numbers of the images, but, AGAIN, things should be simpler than that.

3) In the Edit page, we should be able to copy and paste the attributes (scale, position, crop, etc.) of any given clip, to other clips. I tried searching quickly for a way to do that, but I couldn't find any. It might be only because I am still new to the program.

4) Another problem (it is mentioned earlier in the forum by another member, but I also wanted to include it in this list) is the Compound Clip's alpha channel. For some reason, if we some clips (e.g. PNG images) with alpha channel, and we compound them in one clip, the transparency is converted into black. Changing the alpha mode of the compound clip is disabled, and changing the alpha mode of the source clips does nothing. I am not sure why exactly that happens, but I am sure that this is something that can be fixed. Nested sequences in Premiere Pro, for instance, takes into consideration the transparency information of the source clips.

There are some other things that I think should be included in Resolve, but I don't think that it's possible to expect them in the official release of Resolve 12, since they will probably require major changes in the program. Here they are:

1) As an editor, I sometimes use different timelines with different width & height, and different aspect ratios under the same project. Since Resolve works with general project settings, doing that is impossible. Therefore, I suggest separating the timeline settings from the general project settings to have the ability to having different timelines with different settings in the same project.

2) I know that Resolve has some excellent compositing capabilities, but choosing between it and Fusion, I would definitely choose Fusion to do any compositing task. Therefore, and since you also own Fusion, I think some sort of an integration between Resolve and Fusion should be added to both programs. As far as I know, Fusion doesn't support XML; it only imports EDL and OMF. I have never used OMF, so I know nothing about it except that it was the predecessor of AAF. I tried moving projects between Resolve and Fusion (and between Premiere and Fusion previously) using EDL, but it doesn't seem to work very well, let aside the fact that I will have to re-import the footage one by one. Having the ability to move between Fusion and Resolve will be a huge addition to the future releases of both of them.

So sorry for the extremely long post, but I really believe in the potential of Resolve as an NLE, so I wanted to share my thoughts on how to develop it more in that direction to make it a powerful tool for both editors and colorists.
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 16.1.0.055
Fusion Studio version: 9.0.2
CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4GHz Quad-Core
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti 11GB

Anders Holck Petersen

Re: Quick Thoughts on Resolve 12

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 10:23 pm

1) You can do that: Open any project. Open the project settings window. Select "Presets" from the left bar. Select ">your user< default config". Change your settings. Select "Presets" from the left bar. click save.
Last edited by Anders Holck Petersen on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anders Holck - CTO ACT3 A/S, MAAN RENTAL A/S
www.act3.dk
www.facebook.com/andersholck

Anders Holck Petersen

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 10:27 pm

3) Thats possible use, alt+v to paste attributes. But it will only paste attributes from the edit workspace.
Anders Holck - CTO ACT3 A/S, MAAN RENTAL A/S
www.act3.dk
www.facebook.com/andersholck

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 10:59 pm

Thank you very much Andres. I don't know why I couldn't find these information when I was searching online.
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 16.1.0.055
Fusion Studio version: 9.0.2
CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4GHz Quad-Core
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti 11GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve