Collaboration between Editors with Resolve 12?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Noah Stout

Collaboration between Editors with Resolve 12?

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 4:32 am

Hi everyone,
I'm new to Resolve after being frustrated with FCP X and Premiere (I'm experienced with video editing, but have issues with both programs). I'm excited that Resolve 12 is now a full editing application. I'm an Apple user if that info is needed to help me.

Anyway, it is essential to my workflow in my company to be able to collaborate with different remote editors. I did this in FCP 7 by storing project files in shared dropbox folders and media on local drives with each different editor. They do not need to be working simultaneously. When FCP X came out I switched to Premiere to be able to keep this workflow. Is there anything like this in Resolve 12? I can't figure it out at this point in time. I see there is something you can do with creating different databases but that and saving projects to different locations is a bit of a mystery to me so far. I'm aware that there are some collaborative tools that are only available in the Studio version but I just can't imagine me and all my editors paying $975 just for that. I know about sharing projects with XML, and that is not what I need. I need projects to live inside Dropbox so anyone shared can open it remotely at any time, without being sent anything like an XML.

Everything else seems to be great with Resolve 12 so far :)

Thanks!

Jules Bushell

Re: Collaboration between Editors with Resolve 12?

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 6:18 am

Couldn't you just use the Resolve database that is in .XML format and store that in dropbox?

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 6:55 am

Try exporting a project from the project manager to your dropbox. Import on the other system... You are likely to need to relink as paths will be different.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Noah Stout

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 8:04 pm

Thanks for the replies!
Jules, I will see if I can try to figure this out, but it is not clear to me how to do it.
Peter, at first I thought the project exporting wouldn't work because when I click on that file it doesn't open Resolve. But then I realized I have to import the file from within Resolve and then it copies that file back into my database location. This is a workaround as it does allow us to collaborate but I think it means we have to export a project back to Dropbox after each edit session instead of just letting it live in there.

What I need is to just be able to determine a simple project location in Dropbox so anyone who needs to access the project does so from there and it just lives in there, and nobody has to keep exporting anything for that copy to be updated. It seems Resolve wants to force the project locations to be in this one location. This way my editors can collaborate and if one has to leave his/her suite the most recent version of the project is accessible by anyone else at any time.

Thanks so much for the help!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 8:12 pm

When you use "File - Export Project" to export a Resolve project, it's stored as a .drp file.

To use it in another system, or bring it back into the same system, use "File - Import Project" and select the desired .drp project file.

You can delete projects in the Project Manager window by right clicking the project name, and selecting Delete. You can't delete a project that is currently loaded.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Noah Stout

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 8:22 pm

Thanks Dwaine,
I figured out my importing ignorance after sending the last reply but wasn't able to edit the post until you had written your kind reply, thank you!
I'm still looking for a way to keep the current and only version in a location that is not on the system drive that each person can access (instead of exporting and re-importing after each editors edit session). I'm trying to figure out a way to work with the Database Manager to do this, looking up a tutorial now... will keep ya posted. Thanks, you guys are a big help in this transition!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 12.33.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 12.33.29 PM.png (152.9 KiB) Viewed 1351 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve