Bug: mp4 embedded audio drop

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nick Verlinden

Bug: mp4 embedded audio drop

PostFri Aug 14, 2015 6:13 pm

Hi guys,

Found a bug while editing a project on Resolve 12. I'm working with mp4 files containing h264 video and aac audio.
I'm using Resolve 12 Beta 2 on Windows 7. When played in any of the players, or used on the timeline, the audio of these videos drops after a few seconds or minutes. I have found that this seems to be a percentage. Since for all video files, the playhead's position where the audio drops is exactly the same, while the length of the files differ greatly (even by an hour for some).
I opend up some projects that I had edited om Resolve 11; and these projects have the same problem now. I have included a screenshot where the playhead is at the position where the audio drops in all the mp4 files.

Further; Also exported and imported the project on my macbook pro. Resolve 12 Beta 2 on OSX 10.9 does not show or play any audio at all from the specified files. I also have tested this with Resolve 11 on OSX before, and can confirm there where no problems with the same files on OSX 10.9 using Resolve 11.

To sum it up:
-mp4 files drop audio after progressing a certain percentage.
-the problem does not occur in Resolve 11.

Kind Regards,
Nick
Attachments
r12b2 audio drop.png
r12b2 audio drop.png (137.63 KiB) Viewed 881 times
macOS 10.13.2 High Sierra
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio 15

Nick Verlinden

Re: Bug: mp4 embedded audio drop

PostThu Aug 20, 2015 11:22 am

Hi all,

Just to let you know; the problem still persists in beta 3.

Kind regards,
Nick
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro

Nick Verlinden

Re: Bug: mp4 embedded audio drop

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 10:21 am

In case anybody should experience the same problem; currently the workaround for this is to rewrap the file using ffmpeg. Here's the command:

ffmpeg -i "<input file path here>" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -y "<output file path here>"

It takes more effort in R12 than in R11, where I could just use the files without rewrapping, but at least there's a workaround. I recently discovered that the files where captured using a video game capture card called the Hauppage PVR Rocket, which could be used to capture any HDMI output straight to mp4.

Greetz!
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro

Return to DaVinci Resolve