Render permissions issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nicolas Billy

Render permissions issue

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 2:23 am

Hi there,

I’ve got a permission issue since a longtime when I render from Davinci Resolve Mac into our san. Basically, when I render using “individual source clip” + ”place clip in separate folder” or “Commercial Workflow” option, the render failed after the second shots. An error message comes up saying that Davinci resolve doesn’t have the permission to write. The problem happens only on “individual source clip” mode. “single clip” render mode work absolutely fine. Also when I render in local storage it work fine.

The local storage on the MAC resolve is an Apple RAID of 3x2TB, MacOS Extended (Journaled), which is the first mount point. The san is ntfs formatted manage by Tiger Technology solution, which second, third and fourth mount point. The San provider has given all the right to resolve. I can easily move and copy some stuff from the mac to the san without any issue. I can manually create a folder from resolve without any problem.

I’m running resolve 11.1.1 in our two workstations. In our setup we running two resolve licensed, one is on OSX and the other one is on Windows. And then we have share database, which is on LINUX. Our San is ntfs, and control via windows platform.

Did someone notice this issue before? Is there any custom setting on the resolve?

I need to make it work! Have been for solution for a while, shouting to my san provider to check all the permission. Checked firewall and antivirus settings. No success! :(. I’m still at the same point.

Does anyone have an idea what is causing this issue?

Nicolas
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 4.13.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 4.13.15 PM.png (39.57 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
Nicolas Billy
Colourist

Globalstor, OS: Windows 10, Proc: Dual Intel Xeon, GPU: 2xTitanV
Extremstor, OS: Windows 10, Proc: Dual Intel Xeon, GPU: 2xTitanblack
Mac Pro (Mid 2017), OS: Mac OS 12.3.1
Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS: Mac OS 10.13.6, GPU: GTX670

Martin Noll

Re: Render permissions issue

PostWed Aug 19, 2015 5:49 pm

I have the same problem but still no solution.

I only get the permission error on Quicktime (ProRes) delivering. My workaround was to deliver a TIF sequence and convert with another software it to ProRes.

That's what I tried:
  • Clean install Yosemite & Resolve
  • Repairing rights of my work RAID with Disktool
  • checked filenames for illegal characters
  • I did not change the RAID folders and files
  • -> the problem remains

So it seems to be a [Resolve - File or Folder - Quicktime] problem.

Other applicatons work perfectly with my RAID and it's folder structure (no writing permissions issues at all)
Resolve is instable with illegal characters in filenames (and metadata?). Some Resolve versions crash when accessing files containing characters like ä, ö, ü (This is annoying if your non native-english speaking clients provide files with illegal characters).
MacPro 2008 (3,1) 18GB RAM, int. RAID, GTX285 & GT120, OSX 10.10.2, Resolve 11.3.1
MacBook Pro 15" 2019 | 32GB RAM | Radeon V20 | 4TB | Catalina

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 19, 2015 8:24 pm

Nicolas, is that happening on both the Mac and Windows systems?

Martin, if the issue is only happening with QuickTime files, it's a naming issue in the path name and/or the file name, somewhere.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Nicolas Billy

PostSun Aug 23, 2015 4:22 am

It's only happening on the mac. On the windows machine it is working absolutely fine.

Resolve seams to have some issue to create folders. But It's not really consistant. the error turn up some times at the first shot, other times at the second shot, other times fith, tenth...

I double checked the permission with my San Metadata Controler provider. All the permission are given to the mac. When I look at the folder and files written by resolve have the full right "drwxrwxrwx" and "_rwxrwxrwx". And all our folder structure on the san have the full right.

I check as well the firewall setting in the MDC and render with the firewall off. But still remain the same.

Nicolas
Nicolas Billy
Colourist

Globalstor, OS: Windows 10, Proc: Dual Intel Xeon, GPU: 2xTitanV
Extremstor, OS: Windows 10, Proc: Dual Intel Xeon, GPU: 2xTitanblack
Mac Pro (Mid 2017), OS: Mac OS 12.3.1
Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS: Mac OS 10.13.6, GPU: GTX670

Tomek Dyszol

PostSun Aug 23, 2015 6:36 am

On windows I had similar issue with exporting to any format using quicktime.
Most od the times I got either crashes during export or just similar stupid errors.
Possible solution:
Untick 'frame reordering' in export settings. That is what worked for me.

Wayne Poll

PostTue Aug 25, 2015 3:44 am

Same issue here - Resolve 11.x on Mac, with Avid ISIS 5k5 storage via Atto Thunderlink 10Gb fibre.

Cannot write QT .mov files to the storage (ISIS) but can write ANY other file type to this storage. AND we can write QT .mov to local storage and SMB shares. Can write QT .mov files to the ISIS storage with any other application, just not Resolve.

Have tried the default mount points for the ISIS volumes and manual mount points too. File and/or path names are not the issue - all file names and paths have been kept short and legal.

Have Avid looking at this and they think it might be a Resolve issue. Looking at the logs, I tend to agree with them....

Return to DaVinci Resolve