Render Cache needs an update in Resolve 12

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marcus Lindstrom

Render Cache needs an update in Resolve 12

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 1:17 pm

The render cache is a great feature to have, but it is not working properly in Resolve 12. When having RED material I usually start of by turning on the source render cache to get smoother performance and less lag, but everytime a copy a grade from another clip it resets the cache (because of the new pasted raw setting?), when disabling my nodes to see before/after it resets the node cache and it has to start render all over again making the performance in resolve even slower than without it...

Then when a client asks me to see a specific clip in realtime, I have 20 clips that are red (unrendered) in my timeline and I have to manually disable all the used source caches, node caches, and output caches on those to make the clip the client wants to see be priority to make it get rendered as quickly as possible. There should be a way to turning off the cache settings on all/selected clips with just a simple click.

Also, whats up with having to manually remove unused render caches? Can't that be done automatically?
Mac Pro (late 2013)
Sony Trimaster EL PVM 250
DaVinci Resolve Mini Panel
BM Ultrastudio Express
Pegasus R6

Marcus Lindstrom

Re: Render Cache needs an update in Resolve 12

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Could someone from blackmagic comment on this issue?
Is Resolve suppose to re-render the source cache everytime I create a new version? Node cache getting deleted when disabling all nodes (to see before/after)?

Worst part is that Resolve gets really slow when using openFX plugins even with render cache on!
Mac Pro (late 2013)
BM Ultrastudio Express
Pegasus R6

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 11:13 pm

Hello, Marcus,
Because Camera Raw affects the original as seen by Resolve, any change to the camera raw settings will invalidate both kinds of Render Cache (Optimised media and per frame Render Cache). Only those operations that are performed on the developed image will not invalidate the Optimised Media cache.
This is not a bug and works as designed.
The reason for this is that any change in the camera raw settings tab affects how the original raw image data is interpreted, decoded and debayered.
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

Marcus Lindstrom

PostTue Sep 29, 2015 11:54 am

But I am not changing any camera raw settings.. only adding a "new version", or disabling all nodes off and on?
Mac Pro (late 2013)
BM Ultrastudio Express
Pegasus R6

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 1:14 am

Use bypass instead of enable/disable all nodes.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Cliff Secord

PostSun Oct 25, 2015 10:31 pm

The render cache is so problematic I had to quit using it. Everything you'd like/need it to do requires some form of convoluted workaround that ultimately doesn't work. the default response to blame either the operator or what the operator is trying to do with it. I was using ProRes, OFX plugins and some simple correction. For example; The render cache couldn't keep track of video/data levels of clips and would switch randomly. There was no tenable way to re-render one shot with an error. Errors were random. Grades from previous clips would bleed into the next shot...

It's a shame because, like most of the features in R12, it's 90% there but just falls short.

Return to DaVinci Resolve