Resolve 12b3 still can't export audio for Protools?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

James Leonard

Resolve 12b3 still can't export audio for Protools?

PostThu Aug 20, 2015 12:29 pm

Hi,
With R12b1 & b2, trying to export an AAF caused my system to crash.
Now with b3 I get an AAF file but R12 doesn't consolidate the audio files into a folder that can be taken to an audio post facility. And testing the AAF in Logic the AAF doesn't seem to have any timeline information anyway.

Am I missing something?
Has anyone else managed to export the audio from a timeline to Protools?

To those who have seen the 'Export to Protools preset on the delivery page this just exports the video reference file. Although it would be great if this preset also including the exporting an AAF with consolidated audio files.
My workaround with b1 and b2 was to roundtrip back to FCP7 and export an OMF from there, however this was painful as it only imported one channel of any tracks set up as stereo. I had to re-add all the music again. Annoying.

It would be great if BM could put a list of known bugs on this forum so people can keep up to date with what's not working.
Otherwise thanks, although its painful right now, the editing abilities are looking promising.

Simon Dayan

Re: Resolve 12b3 still can't export audio for Protools?

PostThu Aug 20, 2015 3:11 pm

try this configuration and let me know if it works for you(my ver - Protools HD 11.3.1).
Attachments
AAF_PT_11.png
AAF_PT_11.png (732.21 KiB) Viewed 1446 times

James Leonard

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 3:47 am

Thanks Simon,
So you're relinking to the original footage?
I'll try and see if a soundpost friend will bring a copy of ProTools up to our office to check this.

If it works that's interesting but still little use for sending to an external sound-post facility, unless I give them a drive with all the media for the entire project.
For now round tripping back to FCP and exporting an OMF means I can send via wetransfer.
Thanks for the insight though.
James

Simon Dayan

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 5:41 am

Hi James,

i agree with you it's not working good !

i did some testing and i got some weird result sometimes i got only the Left ch from a stereo file
sometimes i get empty tracks and when i look on the track name i can see gibberish font like "track%1%"
so i guess it's a bug and BMD should fix it .

Cheers!

James Leonard

PostWed Aug 26, 2015 9:58 pm

Hi Simon,
Yeah I really don't like how Resolve defaults tracks and audio to stereo on a single track. The really annoying part is that when you send the timelines to other applications they come in as only one channel of the stereo mix.
My workaround is to change the 'Clip Attributes' to 2 tracks and all my timeline tracks to mono. It would be good if this could be set as a default rather than having to change every single clip. But it does seem to work and I haven't had any complaints from audio post since I started doing it.
Its certainly not the way Resolve intends us to work with these tracks.

Anyone want to enlighten us with a better workflow?

cheers
James

James Leonard

PostWed Aug 26, 2015 10:01 pm

Attached is the Clip Attributes settings I'm using.
Attachments
Clip attributes settings.png
Clip attributes settings.png (42.18 KiB) Viewed 1344 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve