how to get back source timecodes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ron Aerts

how to get back source timecodes

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 2:59 pm

Unfortunately an editor for a project generated proxies with the relative timecode in stead of source timecode. So every cut is counted as zero from clip frame 1. Through AAF exchange I can get the edit fine in the timeline telling resolve to count from zero every clip. I am using the original files which do have the correct TC but my burn-in TC is the relative timecode (so 1st frame = zero start clip). However for the audio editor this will be extremely unpleasant as his audio is linked to the source TC and will take huge effort to align things!
Is there any way to tell resolve to show the original source timecode?
I found a script with Sony Vegas that does this but for every change in the edit I have to re-export AAF, then script TC, render out, embed in Resolve again...
Frustrating if you know the TC is there, but you cant show it
Thanks all
Strongbox W10 64/dual Xeon 2,6M/48-core/64Gb/dual GTX2080Ti/Fairlight Audio Accelerator

Marc Wielage

Re: how to get back source timecodes

PostSun Aug 23, 2015 8:01 am

Make the editor who made the mistake fix it.

marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Tomek Dyszol

PostSun Aug 23, 2015 9:11 am

That picture with Boromir killed me hehe

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 5:56 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Make the editor who made the mistake fix it.

Yes, have the one that create the problem fix it. ..

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choice. ..
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Sam Steti

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 3:03 pm

I had to cope with it once. I can tell it was not fixed in Resolve (didn't find a way, which was predictable at the end of the day), but in the NLE before XML export.
So even if guys before seem to be... let's say "abrupt" :P , they're right, because "by the editor" or not, it should be done before Resolve...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Ron Aerts wrote:Unfortunately an editor for a project generated proxies with the relative timecode in stead of source timecode. So every cut is counted as zero from clip frame 1. Through AAF exchange I can get the edit fine in the timeline telling resolve to count from zero every clip. I am using the original files which do have the correct TC but my burn-in TC is the relative timecode (so 1st frame = zero start clip). However for the audio editor this will be extremely unpleasant as his audio is linked to the source TC and will take huge effort to align things!
I found a script with Sony Vegas that does this but for every change in the edit I have to re-export AAF, then script TC, render out, embed in Resolve again...
Frustrating if you know the TC is there, but you cant show it
Thanks all

Are your proxies MOVs?
The only way to fix it is to have original TC for each file and overwrite existing TC in proxies with correct TC. This can be done without re-encoding etc., but may need manual work (at least up to some extent).
PM me if you want to "fix it".

Return to DaVinci Resolve