Loading a memory deletes window tracking

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Bernardo Zahav

Loading a memory deletes window tracking

PostTue Aug 25, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi,
I wish that loading from a color memory didn't clear the tracking I have on the clip.
I use memories to quickly help decide between different corrections, but not when the clip has some tracking, cause it will clear the analysis.
I know could use versions, but I think they are not as easy as memories – you have to create and navigate between versions. With the memories you just quickly load / save different corrections on the slots.

John Burton

Re: Loading a memory deletes window tracking

PostTue Aug 25, 2015 3:25 pm

Tell me about it, it's a ridiculous feature. You either need to remember not to use those memories when tracking or just totally switch to using versions. It makes no sense.

Tomek Dyszol

PostWed Aug 26, 2015 5:40 am

What would you like it to be if you pasted memory to different timrcode part of clip or even different clip? Tracking for that part is for that part and will not work on different.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 12:48 am

Right click in Still window; de-select "Use Timeline Keyframes." In theory, that should work.

I agree, it's almost impossible that you would ever need to copy across keyframes or tracking.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

John Burton

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 12:55 am

Do you think it's faster to redo tracking that's been eliminated because you saved it in a memory or delete and redo the tracking on a different shot? It's ridiculous to get in habit of saving corrections there and all if a sudden have to remember not to save there because your work will disappear. The fact is that you just have to stop using those memories and use versions.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 4:47 am

Versions are good, too.

Stepan Ko

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 7:17 am

Not sure. I do remember needing to copy keyframes. Not tracking though. Never tracking.

Bernardo Zahav

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 5:45 pm

John Burton wrote:Do you think it's faster to redo tracking that's been eliminated because you saved it in a memory or delete and redo the tracking on a different shot? It's ridiculous to get in habit of saving corrections there and all if a sudden have to remember not to save there because your work will disappear. The fact is that you just have to stop using those memories and use versions.

But if the memories worked nicely with the tracker, than I could use them. Memories are great!

Marc Wielage

PostFri Aug 28, 2015 2:29 am

Memories are very helpful, but they're far more useful when you have a large control surface or dedicated buttons for the memories.

Bernardo Zahav

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 11:27 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Memories are very helpful, but they're far more useful when you have a large control surface or dedicated buttons for the memories.

That's why I have dedicated buttons for loading and saving them in my Launchpad!
Maybe I am too used to them, on olden days with the 2K panel we didn't have versions (or tracker), only memories.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 2:16 pm

I wish like protecting nodes I can protect windows: if I have three shots with the same actress+power window, I cannot elegantly copy a color memory because it will override the window.

So, I suggest adding [protect power window] in the selection
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Dermot Shane

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 5:41 pm

if there's alot of them, i use append node, means i have to save a version, delete everything but what i want to reuse, save a still, recall last version, then step fwd / select still / append node, step fwd / append node, step fwd / append node...

but for 3 shots, i step back/select node/copy/step fwd/make new node / paste /step fwd/make new node / paste /step fwd/make new node / paste....

not very elegant

yea, protecting windows would save a bunch of button pushing

Return to DaVinci Resolve