Documentation says audio will be replaced by sync operation.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PalmerWoodrow

Documentation says audio will be replaced by sync operation.

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 7:30 am

I was reluctant to even try waveform-based auto-sync, because the documentation says the audio in the clips will be replaced by the external audio files if synced. This could be a major problem if the wrong audio is matched up with the video file, and the original audio is overwritten.

In fact, the audio is not replaced; it's merely linked. It also took quite a bit of hunting to find out how to undo this link. The capability for undoing it doesn't even exist in the Edit workspace, where you can establish the link (in addition to being able to do it in the Media workspace).

I guess this is two requests: Revise the doc to explain that the synced audio will be linked to the clip and will not modify the file itself, and provide some way of undoing this link wherever you can do it. I didn't find that Undo worked. I think a context menu item ("Unlink external audio file" or some such) on the video clip would suffice.

Thanks!
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Return to DaVinci Resolve