Project disappeared after "save Failure"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Shane Colella

Project disappeared after "save Failure"

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 12:26 pm

Please help, I have a project I was working on and after working flawlessly for a few days, I went to save it, and it gave me save failed notices, then it wouldn't let me exit the program without choosing "dont save" I did and when I reopened resolve the project is gone.
Any way I can restore that project?
Thanks

Tom Fuldner

Re: Project disappeared after "save Failure"

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 2:32 pm

Same thing happened to me while working on the second beta release of 12. Before the crash, I was having issues with keyframing audio in the timeline. The application was starting to react sluggishly. I save the project at one moment when it seemed that things were locking up. Probably not a good idea. I had to force close the application (on a Mac Pro) to make anything happen. When I tried to reopen the project, it got as far as 99% open and hung there. Tried rebooting. No difference. DOA. Had to start over at the very beginning.

Shane Colella

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Yeah, it was after I was keyframing audio as well.
Must be a current bug, I hope they fix :}
It's odd that it nuked the project file though instead of just not keeping current changes.
These days I "backup" my projects and timeline by way of exporting to AAF, so at least I can open in premiere if I have any problems.

Cheers.

Devin Rice

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 6:16 pm

This is scary, please fix. I'm working on a feature and this would be devastating running into after Picture Lock.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 16.2.8.005
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
Processor: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB | Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Jules Bushell

PostSat Sep 12, 2015 1:27 am

I know with the XML format (I've never used the PostgreSQL format), Resolve doesn't take a back-up before saving the project. So if something crashes in the middle of saving, you lose your project.

For this reason I don't use the 'save' but 'the save as' and increment a number and add it to the project name. Then clean up old versons occasionally.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Devin Rice

PostSat Sep 12, 2015 1:39 am

As a precaution I'll make sure to backup the database and export the project to an external drive at the end of every day. Better safe than sorry.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 16.2.8.005
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
Processor: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB | Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Jules Bushell

PostSat Sep 12, 2015 2:21 am

Can if you are feeling really brave, you can go into the directory where the projects are stored and notice that each project is its own directory. Files are stored in XML format so you can open it up in any text editor.

You'll notice that the project you thought you lost is one of those directories. I have on occasion lost a project, gone into its directory, loaded the XML and patched it up, using another project as a reference. Then it appeared in the Resolve project list and I could load it.

Jules
Jules Bushell

Dermot Shane

PostSat Sep 12, 2015 3:58 am

+1 to backing up database every night, and making a DRP every time i finish a major step.... takes about 5 min to do that for a feature timeline

it's saved me twice in the last six months.. well worth it

looking on the machine i'm working on tonight, i see 7 DRP's since the start of the week for this one film i'm on...
xxx_xxx_ v39 reel 2 color tweaks producer notes
xxx_xxx_ v40 vfx cut in r123
xxx_xxx_ v41 color tweaks to new vfx
on and on...

so that's about two DRP's saved every day for this project, not even mentioning the other project's DRP's...

i have a mirrored drive set inside the machine, use that for nothing but metadata for all software, that drive is swept every night and anything new is copied to a raided server, and then copied again to an external server.

we do this for a liveing, need to have a reliable back-up systems, and duplicates for every critical piece of software and hardware to make bonding requirments... but it's not really overkill to buy a couple of cheap 2tb drives, mirror them and make that your back-up / metadata drive

my boot drive is a mirrored raid too.... i'm careful

Jules Bushell

PostSat Sep 12, 2015 8:28 am

YOu mean people don't backup regularly???!!!

Who knows when your hard drive will fail or something else, like someone walking off with your computer :(

Off-site backup is also recommened. I heard a few stories where someone steals the computer and the backup drive, sitting of course right next to the computer.

Jules
Jules Bushell

Dermot Shane

PostSat Sep 12, 2015 3:46 pm

there was one quietly famous incident here, where a supplier who was not paid after 180+ days went to the facility in question, removed two drives from each RAID tower...

they facility in question at the time had one episode of a highly rated primetime tv series finishing color, two more in on-line, and six more in off-line

The supplier got paid by 10am the next morning, and he told them where they might look for some drives should they be missing, they had never left the facility as that would be theft, but they could be put in the celling fan ducts ;-)

Marc Wielage

PostSun Sep 13, 2015 5:18 am

Dermot Shane wrote:there was one quietly famous incident here, where a supplier who was not paid after 180+ days went to the facility in question, removed two drives from each RAID tower...

I don't think that's kosher. To me, if somebody owes you money, you hire a lawyer and sue them. You don't sneak in and vandalize their facility, then blackmail them over it. Among other things, you could jeopardize other projects that have nothing to do with you.

BTW, I understand this kind of anger and have been through some (rare) situations where I considered all kinds of "24 / MacGiver" kinds of responses, but purely as a mental exercise. I do know of a case many years ago where a disgruntled employee snuck in and spread salt all over some circuit boards, which created mountains of problems over the next few months. And I know of other cases where master tapes "accidentally" got erased. And a situation where a disgruntled employee erased hundreds of stills being used by other employees. But none over money -- just people stirring up trouble.

Me, I keep my head down and just keep working.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve