Resolve 12 FCP X Round Trip Issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dylan Neild

Resolve 12 FCP X Round Trip Issue

PostSat Sep 12, 2015 8:48 pm

I guess this is the forum for this now given that Resolve 12 has come out of beta...

I'm having an issue with an FCP X round trip. Basically:

a) Exported as XML from FCP X.
b) Import into Resolve.
c) Cleanup the timeline a little bit.
d) Confirm that it plays well. It does.
e) Don't bother to apply any effects - just "deliver" back to FCP X via Round Trip to test...

What happens is it renders about 80% of the project and then it just randomly stops about 6 or 7 clips from the end. It doesn't always stop in the same place and I can manually render the clips that it stops on so it seems to not be a clip issue.

Resolve doesn't give an error message that I can see. The render window says in green letter that the render is completed and the status is 100%... it just basically gives up without finishing the render and claims it's done.

The resulting FCPX XML file is created but when you import it back into FCP X the audio isn't sync'd properly (at all, like some audio clips are starting 30 seconds late) and, of course, there are the missing 6 or 7 clips that are just listed as blank space in FCP X.

Anyone seen this?

I tried pulling the exact same project into Resolve 11 and it works fine. This is my first project with Resolve 12 and while it seems prettier and faster the fact that it doesn't seem to work for what is effectively the most basic part of my workflow (round-tripping from the NLE) is a little alarming...

Return to DaVinci Resolve