Playback Issues - Resolve 12

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mark Remple

Playback Issues - Resolve 12

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi All

I have been using the beta for the last month or so as my main NLE. I loved it! I edited 2 projects on it and had no issues whatsoever. I always transcode my footage to DNxHD (115kbps). Editing/playback was always smooth using the betas. Now, I have downloaded and installed the final release version and I seem to be having major playback issues. I opened both of my projects and neither will playback smooth 29.97fps. I have tried everything! I just get stuttering, jittery, playback - with the a red fps light and a framerate of about 16fps.

Anybody know what I might be doing wrong? Like I said, the last 3 beta versions worked great.

Barry Weckesser

Re: Playback Issues - Resolve 12

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 5:39 pm

Mark Remple wrote:Hi All

I have been using the beta for the last month or so as my main NLE. I loved it! I edited 2 projects on it and had no issues whatsoever. I always transcode my footage to DNxHD (115kbps). Editing/playback was always smooth using the betas. Now, I have downloaded and installed the final release version and I seem to be having major playback issues. I opened both of my projects and neither will playback smooth 29.97fps. I have tried everything! I just get stuttering, jittery, playback - with the a red fps light and a framerate of about 16fps.

Anybody know what I might be doing wrong? Like I said, the last 3 beta versions worked great.

I had the same problem with 4K XAVC-I - played smoothly on all the betas and with the final version got the choppy playback 16-20 fps. I have a very powerful system (dual Xeon, Dual Titan X's) and I did all sorts of hardware tests to make sure there was no problem - also installed reinstalled several times desktop video and DR12 + preceding Betas and still got the choppy playback issue. Then, after 3 days it suddenly started working again and have no problems since. I have no explanation - it just righted itself.
VIDEOWORKSTATION:DellT7910,DualXeon10core,128GBRAM,2NVIDIATitanX12GB.
DecklinkExtreme4K.
MOBILE VIDEO WORKSTATION: Dell Precision7710,XeonE3-1535,64GB RAM2133;1TB-PCIeNVMe system drive,NVidiaM5000M-8GB,UHD Display;2-1TB PCIeNVMe drives-RAID0

James Leonard

Re: Playback Issues - Resolve 12

PostFri Sep 18, 2015 4:45 am

Interesting it sounds like you're both on PC's and were getting smooth playback.
I'm on a high spec MacPro and have been trying to move from FCP7 to R12 as my main NLE and R12 has been sluggish and slow. Especially when audio waveforms are turned on. However this has improved with the full version.
I usually don't post system specs with my queries but it does seem different users are getting quite different experiences.

Return to DaVinci Resolve