Preserve edit-page keyframes when making compound clip?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Cameron Porter

Preserve edit-page keyframes when making compound clip?

PostFri Sep 18, 2015 3:50 pm

I'm on Resolve 12 beta, Windows 10, 32gb RAM, Titan X, i7 processor.

I'm fairly new at Resolve, and so I didn't realize I needed to turn a still image into a compound clip before I could use the keyframe window on the color page. I spent several hours keyframing the position of the image on the edit page, then went to the color page and spent an hour or so grading the still image to match the video. Then I drew a window and I need to keyframe the shape of it, and it appears in order to do so I need to go back to the edit page, right click it, and select "new compound clip". The issue is that when I do this it wipes out all my edit-page keyframes, and I think (though I'm not sure) it also resets my grade.

Now that I know this is the way it works, I'll make sure to convert it to a compound clip first in the future, but for now, is there any way I can keyframe the shape of the power window without having to re-do the hours of work I spent keyframing on the edit page? Thanks for any help.

Marc Wielage

Re: Preserve edit-page keyframes when making compound clip?

PostFri Sep 18, 2015 10:01 pm

Cameron Porter wrote:Now that I know this is the way it works, I'll make sure to convert it to a compound clip first in the future, but for now, is there any way I can keyframe the shape of the power window without having to re-do the hours of work I spent keyframing on the edit page? Thanks for any help.

Not that I can see, no. I don't think you can swap out still frame media for compound clip media, but try it and see what happens. It's a good lesson to learn.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve