Issue Downloading Resolve 12

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Matthew Swanson

Issue Downloading Resolve 12

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 9:05 pm

Hey all,

So, just built a system from scratch (first time doing that), and am attempting to download Resolve, but am having some issues. When I click on "Download," nothing happens, except it re-loads the "Resolve" page. What am I missing? Didn't have this issue on my old machine (which was way too old to run R12, hence the build), so figuring I must be doing something wrong (entirely possible).

Also, while I have you here - best place to download Resolve to? I'd like it to be as fast as possible - I've got Windows 10 on my SSD (500GB), so was thinking I'd put Resolve there, too, so that it's as speedy as possible. However, I also have two 240gb SSDs that are currently empty, as well as a standard 3TB HD, which I was planning on using for storage of video files, as well as an external 3TB fo r older projects, etc.

Any advice on best configurations?

Any and all thoughts on the matter greatly appreciated,

-Swanson

Dan LaSusa

Re: Issue Downloading Resolve 12

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi Swanson,

I've never had any issues downloading Resolve, so I'm not really sure what's happening there. If it helps, what I see when I go to download it...

Main Resolve page with a blue (with white text) "Download" button. When I click that I get a sorta "pop-up" windows, mostly white that has 5 options:

DaVinci Resolve 12 (left side)
Mac OS X
Windows

DaVinci Resolve 12 Studio (right side)
Mac OS X
Windows
Linux

Since I'm on Windows I select Windows on the left hand side. I then get another "pop-up" window that asks me for First and Last Name, company, email, etc. Once all the fields are filled out I'm able to click the "Register & Download" button. Once I click that button, it starts to download Resolve.

Do you see all that? If you're trying to download the Studio version of Resolve, I'm not sure if the process is different (maybe someone else can chime in)

As for setup, I'm a fairly new Resolve user, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt (I believe BMD have a config document out there for much more detail)

If I were you, it won't matter where you download the program to, but you'll want to install it on your system drive with the rest of your programs (on Windows systems, this is often the "C" drive).

Since you have 2 extra SSDs, I'd make sure your scratch disks (for gallery stills and cache files) is setup to be one of the other SSDs (one of your 240GB drives). Good idea for storing your video files on the larger drive. If you have space, I'd suggest storing ALL of your video files on your internal 3TB and making the external a full backup of that drive (and try to keep them sync'd) so you have a backup of all your data. Of course, if you have another strategy in place for backup, then you can definitely ignore that part of my reply.

I try to always maintain 3 copies of my data (2 local and 1 remote).

Hope that helps!

Dan

Return to DaVinci Resolve