R12.01 not seeing NTSC DV AVI files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

James Lummel

R12.01 not seeing NTSC DV AVI files

PostWed Oct 07, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi! I just loaded DaVinci Resolve 12.01 onto my HP Z800 workstation as I'm interested in the optical quality resizing feature for adding some DV footage to Blu-ray discs.

The problem I'm running into is that Resolve doesn't see the *.avi files for adding to the media pool! I can find *.mov and *.mp4 and still image files such as PNG and BMP files. But I can't seem to see ANY *.avi files at all (either the NTSC DV or the Matrox codec 1080p/i *.avi files on my hard drive).

The "Native File Formats Supported" section indicates that the DV format is supported, and one would expect that under Windows this would include the AVI format (just as one would expect MOV to be supported for OS X, that it wouldn't be supported would considered quite ludicrous, so it is for AVI under Windows).

So assuming that a NTSC DV AVI file would be supported in the Windows version of Resolve, how come I can't see any AVI files when adding media to the media pool?

Second question I have is about ProRes and Windows. It says that "Native ProRes read and write support" is available under "Mac OS X only", but is there read support for ProRes under Windows at least?

Thanks!
James

davidanderson

Re: R12.01 not seeing NTSC DV AVI files

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 12:05 am

Yes you can read ProRes files under windows with Resolve.
For .avi files, you will ned to convert them first with something like ClipToolz, this will allow you to work in a much more professional way, it will batch convert everything and allow you to add timecode, reel numbers etc. and it is free.

http://www.mudgee.net/ClipToolz-Convert-V2.msi

Return to DaVinci Resolve