"Reconnecting" (Replacing) Media in Resolve 11

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Stuart Baker

"Reconnecting" (Replacing) Media in Resolve 11

PostSat Oct 10, 2015 6:57 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation for a best way to swap out ("reconnect") media in Resolve 11?

Here's what I'm trying to do:

1. I have an SD edit of an old movie with film keycode information burned into the image.

2. I have 2K DPX frames scanned from the same film dailies used to create the SD edit. No burn-ins, as this is the finishing source.

3. I have proxy dailies transcoded from the 2K files, with keycode information burned in that matches the original SD edit.

What I would like to do is match the proxy dailies to the SD edit, utilizing the matching keycode burn-in. Then, I would like to replace the proxy media with the 2K media. I'm trying to find within the Resolve 11 interface how to replace the proxy media with the 2K media. I right click on the proxy media, but I don't see a reconnect function.

Any thoughts / feedback would be most appreciated! Thanks Forum Friends!

Stuart

Stuart Baker

Re: "Reconnecting" (Replacing) Media in Resolve 11

PostMon Oct 12, 2015 5:12 pm

Update: I have found how right clicking on a clip to "force conform with selected media pool" can take care of replacement one edit decision at a time, but am wondering if there is a way to perform the conform process all at once, per each media source for every edit decision. Any feedback, most appreciated.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Oct 13, 2015 3:21 am

Yes. My advice would be:

1) upgrade to Resolve 12.

2) highlight the clips you need to replace in the media pool

3) right click and select "Relink Selected Clips," then navigate to the correct drive & folder with the new media and hit OK.

This works surprisingly well. I have never had good luck with "Reconform from Bins," and even "Change Source Folder" has occasionally been stubborn in wanting to change. But Relink has worked very well for me. This is one of a couple of dozen "must have" features in v12.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Stuart Baker

PostWed Oct 14, 2015 11:33 pm

Marc, thanks for the feedback, most appreciated.

I will do as you have suggested, including an update from 11 to 12, and follow up to confirm success.

John Paines

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 3:20 am

Marc Wielage wrote:But Relink has worked very well for me.

I wish I could say the same. Are you connecting to files with identical names -- or trying to force the system to replace media pool clips with differently named clips of the same material? No luck with the latter, for me. You navigate to the folder, but if there's not an exact match, it goes no further.

yogen.rai

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 3:37 am

Try selecting ignore extensions in the conform section of the Settings tab,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yogen
~ Only where there is light, is there color! ~

Marc Wielage

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 7:45 am

John Paines wrote:I wish I could say the same. Are you connecting to files with identical names -- or trying to force the system to replace media pool clips with differently named clips of the same material?

It would have to be an identically-named clip. Once you change the name or moved the file, you've broken the database link.

If you're replacing (say) proxies with camera original files, one way to do this is to save an XML from Resolve, bring back in the XML as a new timeline, then point it to a specific folder that has the camera original files (only) and select the appropriate options in the media checkboxes for file import. This can definitely work, though I'll typically have a handful of files that fail to come in -- but very few, like maybe 4 or 5. Those I import manually and then force a conform in the Edit timeline.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

John Paines

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:If you're replacing (say) proxies with camera original files, one way to do this is to save an XML from Resolve, bring back in the XML as a new timeline, then point it to a specific folder that has the camera original files (only) and select the appropriate options in the media checkboxes for file import. This can definitely work, though I'll typically have a handful of files that fail to come in -- but very few, like maybe 4 or 5. Those I import manually and then force a conform in the Edit timeline.

Yes, I went through a similar procedure in 12; I was just hoping .01 had advanced on it.

So, if anyone at BMD is reading, I'll repeat the feature request: right click a clip in the media pool, navigate to the replacement clip, select it, and done. It's a common feature elsewhere.

Stuart Baker

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 4:39 am

I updated to 12 on my MacBook, and can still successfully use "Force conform with selected media pool clip" to replace media from edit to edit. I can only go one clip at a time unfortunately. But the good news with this function is that the clip names do not have to be identical. I wish I could do something similar within the media pool, but since I am subbing out proxies for DPX frames sequences within folders, there isn't a clip to clip relationship. Instead, it is clip to folder.

I'm not sure if there's a workaround for this, but any suggestions, most appreciated!

On a related note, I'm not sure if I'm incentivized to upgrade to 12 for this eyematch project. In your experience, is 12 more of a resource (RAM, Processor, Video RAM, etc...) pig than 11?

Thanks again for all the input.

John Paines

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 12:58 pm

Stuart Baker wrote:In your experience, is 12 more of a resource (RAM, Processor, Video RAM, etc...) pig than 11?

It seems to make much higher demands on the processor -- on marginal machines, which were fully functional with earlier versions, some people are reporting that it's not workable at all. Others claim the betas were much better in that regard.

Just playing a wav file in R12.01 pushes the processor of a mildly overclocked i7 3930K to 20%. One track of ProRes or Raw footage with a few nodes of color correction typically runs 28-35%. With Raw, source and program monitors often show motion artifacts not seen in the external video output. Is something wrong, or is this the new Resolve?

Stuart Baker

PostSun Oct 18, 2015 12:42 pm

It seems to make much higher demands on the processor -- on marginal machines, which were fully functional with earlier versions, some people are reporting that it's not workable at all. Others claim the betas were much better in that regard.

Thanks for the feedback John Paines.

As tempting and desirous as it is for me to upgrade to 12, I'm going to stick to 11 for now. The mission of my project is pretty narrow. If I can get it done in 11, all the better since I'm less at risk for potential issues in lacking the processing power to get the job done. That said, in replicating my original edit, I may run into an edit decision that I cannot replicate with the tools in 11, in which case I'll be back asking more questions. :D

Curious to know how people are experiencing the upside of 12, as I understand it's a whole new ballgame, despite the greater demands on computer and video card memory. And yes, hopefully further debugging will help to alleviate some of the slog. I'll be tracking within the forum.

Dara O'Neill

Re:

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 5:44 pm

yogen.rai wrote:Try selecting ignore extensions in the conform section of the Settings tab

I can't find this option in Resolve 14, any help?

maybelle24

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 5:45 am

For Resolve 14,

'ignore file extension' option is shown only after you select

File - Import XML/EDL - choose file

And the LOAD XML page will show up.

Return to DaVinci Resolve