This morning it wont open - it crashes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Roen Davis

This morning it wont open - it crashes

PostMon Oct 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Well I have been cruising happily with DR but today I cant open my project.
The project has 9 timelines. Yesterday I set autosave with automatically save project with "retain last 8" and got errors about permissions for the save location but I thought I could worry about all that later. I also saved a backup of the database just before finishing yesterday. What should I do?

DR12 Studio
W8.1
32G RAM
i7 5930K
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Roen Davis

Re: This morning it wont open - it crashes

PostTue Oct 13, 2015 11:09 am

Should I have added more info or am I missing something obvious?
- I imported an older save - lost an hour or so but would still like to understand what went wrong.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 13, 2015 9:21 pm

What type of database are you using?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Roen Davis

PostWed Oct 14, 2015 4:56 am

That is a very good question and I should be able to answer it . . . .

Not sure. I got DR11 lite and fumbled in the dark until I was getting comfortable with it and then upgraded to DR12 Studio.

On a slightly different line and not sure if it is appropriate here: I just pulled in a new clip, edited it in to replace previous, hit color and (before everything was on the same page with me) started adjusting with the Tangent panel and it crashed.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 14, 2015 6:56 pm

Open the Resolve Database Manager window. If there is a path in the Host column, it's a Disk database. If there is an IP address, it's a PostgreSQL database.

Based on what you just said, it's likely a Disk database.

You mentioned in the original thread that you saved a backup of the database. How did you do that?

If you are getting permission errors when saving, that's a bad sign. It implies your Disk database is located in an area that Resolve does not have write permission to. Assuming it is a Disk db, what is the complete path shown for the db in the Host column of the Database Manager window? And does Resolve have permission to write there?

Regarding crashes, running CaptureLogs after the crash and linking to the log file could be helpful.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Roen Davis

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 3:04 am

Hi Dwaine,

thanks for your patience with me.

Yes its a disc database on the c:\ProgramData\etc etc. I did a backup with the backup button! The permissions issue is odd then because the database is doing its job?

CaptureLogs? I can see the app crash in the event logs . . . ?

It does crash a bit but I am not feeling that it is any more than my experience with NLEs would suggest is reasonable. I thought that reporting might be helpful.

cheers

Daniel Marec

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 7:21 am

I had a similar problem this morning. Yesterday I saved a project, no error messages at all. This morning I could not open the project. After opening 99% Da Vinci 12 crashed. I tried it several times, but no success - crashed always at the same percentage of loading. I use nMP2013.

Projects are saved on the internal SSD: Macinthosh HD/Libary/Application Support/BlackmagicDesign/DaVinciResolve/ResolveDiskDatabase/ResolveProjects/Users…

I lost some folders in the same project before….

I never had such a problem on DaVinci 11 ...

Roen Davis

PostThu Oct 15, 2015 7:18 pm

My crash was occurring at 49%

Michael Parfit

PostSun Oct 25, 2015 12:14 am

Are there any solutions to the crash-on-open problem?

Mine freezes at 78% loaded. Same thing with older project file for same project, a file that was opening most of the time. I did a save-as, then worked with the new one. Now neither project opens. I had a .drp export file saved, and tried it on my other machine. It had a panic and the whole machine crashed.

We are on an extreme deadline. Big problem to lose the weekend. Bigger problem to permanently lose this project. Anyone have ideas?

Mac Pro 6-core dual D700s

Thanks,

Mike

Return to DaVinci Resolve