Render Cache with Multicam Clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike C Bonner

Render Cache with Multicam Clips

PostMon Oct 19, 2015 3:25 am

I am working on an XML'd timeline from fcpx with multicam clips. I would like to use the smart render cache function while coloring, but no matter what I do, no matter how I tell DR to render to cache, the multicams never get rendered. Neither the multicam clip itself, or the clips inside will be effected. Even if I create a multicam inside Resolve, they won't render. Am I missing something?
The multicams have several 4k mp4s in them and it would sure be nice to render them within the timeline. Now, I could use proxies (such as 1/4 res) to view the multicams, but then once I switched back to smart cache, the entire timeline needs to be re-render all over again. Seems like a annoying oversight to me. So, am I stuck in an either/or workflow? Either grading everything at 1/4 res, or grading the multicams at 4fps?

Tom Scollard

Re: Render Cache with Multicam Clips

PostMon Nov 02, 2015 10:14 pm

Im also working on an XML'd timeline from fcpx and the caching is erratic at best. Part of the timeline will turn blue but a minute later will be back to red. Doesn't matter if its in user or smart mode it doesn't seem to work properly with multicams unless im also missing something.
MacBook Pro 2018 15-inch, 32GB ram, i7, 560 4GB internal graphics
Sonnet EGPU with Radeon RX 580
OSX Mojave 10.14.4

Mike C Bonner

Re: Render Cache with Multicam Clips

PostWed Nov 04, 2015 11:34 am

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.
In the meantime, I discovered that you can force conform the multicam clip to the proper angled clip in the media pool (assuming the multicam is finalized). The timing will be preserved, and most importantly since it's not linked to a multicam, it will be rendered to the smart cache.

Return to DaVinci Resolve