Surface Book or VAIO Z Canvas

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Vaga Liki

Surface Book or VAIO Z Canvas

PostThu Oct 22, 2015 3:47 am

Hey everyone,

I am planning to get a new laptop/tablet/convertible for general purpose use as well as some gaming (ideally would like to play watch dogs and new games at 1600*900 high settings), CAD design, and 4K video editing. The machine needs to be light, have pen input, have a good screen (resolution, color gamut & accuracy) with 7+ hours battery. I plan to be able to use this device for at least 4 years.

In short, I have narrowed my search down to 3 devices:
The Surface Book (with i7, believed to be dual core Skylake, 512GB PCIe SSD, nVidia GPU with 1GB GDDR5 VRAM), the VAIO Z Canvas (with AdobeRGB screen, quad core Haswell i7, Iris Pro 5200, 512GB PCIe SSD), and the updated Acer R13 (Skylake i7, likely dual core, and Thunderbolt 3 with support for external GPU, not sure of availability or release date).

Will the Surface Book or the VAIO Z Canvas run Resolve 12 well enough for 4K editing and color grading (understanding that the timeline playback resolution will probably be scaled back to 2K or 1080p)? I overall prefer those systems but I need to clarify this point. Also, I know the Z Canvas doesn't have hardware-accelerated h265 support whereas the Book (and probably the Acer R13 too) does because of Skylake and nVidia.

Vladimir LaFortune

Re: Surface Book or VAIO Z Canvas

PostSat Oct 24, 2015 7:32 pm

Vaio Z Canvas has a proper quad-core H cpu while SB or SP have U dual core i7s. Big difference.
Unlike previous Surface Pro this Vaio doesn't get hot so it will not throttle down due to the best tablet active cooling ever engineered.

VCZ has the latest and the fastest PCIe Samsung SSDs while SB or SP do not unless you opt for 1TB option. This is the greatest performance differentiator between the two.

GPU in Vaio is Iris Pro which is mid-range GPU. Nvidia in SB will most likely be in the same rank, definitely not above it cause that would slot it in 950 category which they would have said so. SB doesn't have a GPU when used as a tablet. SP has regular Iris with i7 configuration.

VCZ features AdobeRGB screen

Pen on VCZ is same as one that comes with SP3 but with some proprietary modifications to make it work like new pen introduced with SP4.

VCZ has fully functional detachable keyboard made out of hard plastic on top and aluminum at the bottom.

Battery: VCZ actual battery life is 3h when pushed or 4 to maybe 5 when used lightly. SP4 has insane battery life and SB with keyboard attached has well over 9 hours. Detached only 3

Conclusion is that VCZ is the best desktop OS tablet money can buy you right now but my question is why would you do anything on a 12' screens let alone edit video or stuff like that? Your eyes are your assets in this work, make sure they last as long as they can.

Return to DaVinci Resolve