Different black levels between Premiere and Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Kren

Different black levels between Premiere and Resolve

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 12:53 pm

Dear Resolve community,

I am pretty new to using Resolve and I am not that prolificent in color theory (yet!) so I hope my question is not too basic. I have also looked here in the forum but haven't found an answer, please apologize if I oversaw it.

So, I actually have 2 questions:

I am doing my editing in Adobe Premiere CC 2015 and grading in Resolve 12 under Windows 10 using the xml for final cut 7 roundtrip. I haven't changed any settings really and went with the defaults.
So, I do my grading in Resolve and everything works and looks fine, I render the files as dnxhd (since I am under windows, I would use prores on a mac) but when I reimported them into premiere (again, via xml), I noticed that the blacks looked more washed out than in Resolve. I looked up the parade of Lumetri Color in Premiere and indeed, the blacks don't go down to 0 anymore. Here are the parades of the same frame of the same shot, once from Resolve and once from Premiere:

Resolve: Image

Premiere: Image

Why does this happpen? Otherwise the shots look good, only the black level is wrong. If I compare the shots between the two applications via alt-tab, they indeed look different, so it is not just a different scale. If I reimport the shots into Resolve it looks fine again. It's probably an easy fix in the settings, but I cannot seem to find it.

And my second question is about handles. I am using the xml roundtrip mainly to be able to use handles, meaning that I grade more than I need for the edit to compensate any changes that might come up. I have set the default handle length in Resolve's settings to 100 frames, but in Premiere the shots do not have any additional meat. How come?

I hope I was making myself clear enough and would appreciate any help.

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

JP Perry

Re: Different black levels between Premiere and Resolve

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 5:08 pm

What kind of footage?

Looks like the blacks are elevated to around 7 IRE, which makes me wonder if this is a video "setup" issue. Do you have "setup" enabled somewhere in your pipeline?
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

Mike Kren

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Setup? I am not entirely sure what you mean. I have made no special video settings anywhere in my system, at least not that I know of. My graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce GTX970 using the latest standard drivers.

The shots are standard indoor shot with a Sony FS7 and a Sony FS700.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 7:13 pm

It looks a video vs full range issue to me too...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

JP Perry

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 8:11 pm

Mike, this link explains video "setup":

http://www.glennchan.info/articles/tech ... setup.html

Also, Resolve has an option for Video vs Data levels which you can experiment with.
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

Dani Iosafat

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 8:32 pm

I'm not sure about DNx, but ProRes certainly defaults to video levels. Resolve (as well as quicktime and everything else) will read it correctly, with the black set at 16 (64 at 10 bits).

Premiere probably reads this as data. I don't use Premiere, but there's bound to be some setting to have it interpret the files as video level.

Alternatively, you can set data levels in Resolve's deliver tab. Other players might then clip the blacks, but it's possible that Premiere will read them fine. If it's only for the roundtrip, the method could work.
R17 on Win10 | i9-9900k 32GB RAM | RTX2060s 8GB | 2TB NVMe RAID 0

JPOwens

PostTue Oct 27, 2015 3:45 pm

JP Perry wrote:Mike, this link explains video "setup":

Setup is as dead as the last dinosaur, because we don't do anything analog anymore, and it was an NTSC perversion to start out with.

What you are looking at is a straight and simple RGB / Y'CbCr "full range" vs. "Linear Video" 0-1023 / 64-940 error.

The statement that
Dani Iosafat wrote:ProRes certainly defaults to video levels.
is not quite accurate. ProRes 422 does, but ProRes 4444 does not. It can contain either, but has no provision for identifying which is the proper decoding range. This contributes to the same problem reported in the "strange/ugly dpx export" thread in this forum. Scopes tell the story.

jPo

Mike Kren

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 9:55 am

Thank you very much for the suggestions!
I am currently quite busy with other things and will try them out as soon as possible.
I will let you know if I can solve the problem!

Also, any clues regarding my handles question?
What am I doing wrong there?

Thanks again,
Mike

Dani Iosafat

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 10:53 am

JPOwens wrote:The statement that
Dani Iosafat wrote:ProRes certainly defaults to video levels.
is not quite accurate. ProRes 422 does, but ProRes 4444 does not. It can contain either, but has no provision for identifying which is the proper decoding range. This contributes to the same problem reported in the "strange/ugly dpx export" thread in this forum. Scopes tell the story.
jPo

Yes, that's exactly so. I remember reading conflicting information from Apple and Adobe (I think) about which range it's meant to work at. I think QT player will show it as if it's video range, but that was a while back, so I'm not sure it's still the case. In software where the interpretation can be forced (like Resolve), using data levels is of course possible. I don't know, however, how Premiere will take it, which is the OP's original problem.
R17 on Win10 | i9-9900k 32GB RAM | RTX2060s 8GB | 2TB NVMe RAID 0

Mark Sterne

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 9:49 pm

Mike Kren wrote:...

Also, any clues regarding my handles question?
What am I doing wrong there?

So, when you go to make a trim, do you get a "no more media", or is the additional media ungraded?

Mike Kren

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 10:16 am

After reimporting the footage via xml to premiere, there is no additional footage outside of my graded clips at all. Meaning I cannot trim the clips, because they just 'end there'.

Tero Ahlfors

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 10:30 am

Mike Kren wrote:After reimporting the footage via xml to premiere, there is no additional footage outside of my graded clips at all. Meaning I cannot trim the clips, because they just 'end there'.

You'll need to add handles in the more options twirl down-menu in the deliver page.

Return to DaVinci Resolve