Settings please to optimise resolve 12 on new iMac

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mark green

Settings please to optimise resolve 12 on new iMac

PostTue Oct 27, 2015 1:45 pm

HI
Use the bmpcc and love it. my old mac couldn't handle resolve but I'm getting the new iMac this week.

could someone who knows resolve and iMacs please tell me what settings i need to change to optimise
my iMac to work at its best with resolve ?

my specs are

late 2105 27" iMac 5k
395x GPU
i7 CPU
500gb SSD
24gb ram

I also wonder will resolve work well if i partition the internal in half and use one half for the video files in resolve ?
i also have a 2gb 3.0 usb HD external i will use for storage of old projects.
and a usb 3.0 250 SSD external.

whats the best work flow ?

thanks in advance :-)

Marc Wielage

Re: Settings please to optimise resolve 12 on new iMac

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 1:28 am

I think it's a bad idea to try to use your internal drive for media playback. That goes for any editing or color-correction program I know of.

The section on Optimizing Performance in the manual on pages 133-146 are good tips. Be warned that an iMac is not ideal for GPU-intensive software like Resolve.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

JPOwens

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 6:23 am

mark green wrote:my specs are

late 2105 27" iMac 5k
395x GPU
i7 CPU
500gb SSD
24gb ram

How did you get your hands on a 2105 iMac? :?

Your best bet for working at a reasonable level with HD material (at least) would be to exploit the Thunderbolt connections with a large-ish fast SSD external drive to house your source media (the internal drive is kind of a non-starter for this purpose, really) and if you are serious, an external (T-Bolt) video card enclosure for an nVidia/CUDA GPU with as much VRAM as possible. As for User Interface, are you contemplating the use of any kind of control surface/ external grade monitor?

If I was interested in re-purposing the current 5K iMac that I am using to write this post, those are things I'd consider.

jPo

mark green

PostWed Oct 28, 2015 6:43 am

thanks Marc ill check out pages 133-146.

i think i ordered my 2105 iMac on back to the future day, apparently it turned out to be the late 2015 model with no free overboard :-(

but seriously, thanks for your reply, i guess i could have just got he 250gb SSD instead of 500gb and put that money towards a t bolt drive. doh.

i do have samsung 250gb 850 ssd via external usb3 enclosure, would that do for now ?

what low cost raid drive set up do you recommend ?

i have two 2tb usb3 hard drives, is it possible to raid them to get faster speed ? or even worth it?

i will not have control surface/ external grade monitor, but I'm interested in this t bolt gnu idea.

i won't be going 4k footage until next year, so could you recommend a great t bolt external and gpu to think about building a machine that can cope well with 4k and run my 5k screen ?

thanks again for the insight!

mark green

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 6:48 am

any advice about the above appreciated :-)

jussi rovanpera

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 3:55 pm

External GPU's via thunderbolt don't work with OS X...

Return to DaVinci Resolve