How to change the frame rate

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Francesco Bollorino

How to change the frame rate

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 12:46 pm

I have begun to use DaVinci as Video Editor.
Starting with some suspect. as I was a FCP7 user for years, I hace to say the the software is intuitive e really powerfull so I'm very very glad of my choise.
It use in a clever manner the power of my iMac cutting a lot the time of rendering.
I have to litle problem to solve I hope you'll help me:
1) I CANT change the framerate of the output of my video: it is "FIXED" at 24p and I'd like to use 25p as I work normally with this framerate with my BMPPC. How can I solve the problem?
2) I dont find the audio effect to make an audio dissolve to zero. Can you help me?
Thank you a lot in advance
Francesco Bollorino
Editor of Psychiatry on line Italia
Thematic Channel on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: How to change the frame rate

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 6:23 pm

Render frame rate is locked to project frame rate.

Project frame rate cannot be changed after there is a timeline and/or media in the Media Pool.

So the project frame rate must be properly set before you start the project.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

JP Perry

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 10:22 pm

To answer #2, to make audio dissolve to zero, you can either:

-use the audio fade handles (quick and easy option).
-use the cross dissolve in the Effects Library.
-use audio keyframes.

It's all explained very well in the manual, Ch 20.
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

Francesco Bollorino

PostMon Nov 02, 2015 2:04 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Render frame rate is locked to project frame rate.

Project frame rate cannot be changed after there is a timeline and/or media in the Media Pool.

So the project frame rate must be properly set before you start the project.

I have set the project frame rate to 25p but the redering is at 24p this is the problem...
Francesco Bollorino
Editor of Psychiatry on line Italia
Thematic Channel on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 7:03 pm

If Project Settings / Master Project Settings / Timeline Format - Timeline frame rate is set to 25 FPS, then the Deliver page Format - Frame Rate selection will not show 24.

Unless: You have a custom Deliver page Preset set to 24 FPS. And you are using Resolve 11. There was a scenario where if you selected a Deliver page preset that had a frame rate different than the project frame rate, that frame rate WOULD be applied on the Deliver page, and there was no way to fix that without restarting Resolve. However, this should not happen in Resolve 12.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Ahab's Compass

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 pm

Is there no support for 90fps timelines? This is sort of a problem if people want to create 90fps videos for Oculus VR at its native refresh rate.

David Jimenez F

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 1:10 pm

I wander if finally in 2018 we are able to change the Frame rate of a project?

I worked a whole project with an XML from my client and unfortunately when I finished and I was going to render I found the project was 60p when it should be 30.

I tried to copy and paste the timeline to a new project but even this didn't work.
Any other idea to change the frame rate?

Thanks!

David Jimenez, Tokyo

Ryan Humphrey

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 2:19 pm

Dwaine, It would be amazing if Resolve eventually moved to having the settings be on a per-timeline basis rather than a per-project basis. I can't count the number of times I've imported all my media only to catch a mistake in the project setting and have to start over again. I've also found a lot of situations where having multiple resolutions of timelines would be very useful. Such as projects that have (or get added at the last minute after work has been done) requirements for additional lower resolution or different ratio deliverables, where I want to keep it 99% the same but rework things like titles and text specifically for the lower resolution or ratio.

Thanks for engaging with us on the forums

Vit Reiter

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 3:56 pm

Francesco Bollorino wrote:I CANT change the framerate of the output of my video: it is "FIXED" at 24p and I'd like to use 25p as I work normally with this framerate with my BMPPC. How can I solve the problem?

Use this trick:

- BACKUP your project!!!
- remove all content from project (media, timelines, etc.)
- now you can change frame rate in project settings
- press command+z for undo content
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Gary Hango

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Vit, if this really works, it means the Resolve developers should be able to easily program a function to do this.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

DanielBoist

Re: How to change the frame rat

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 9:34 pm

+1 for changing frame rates and different frame rates for timelines within one project!
Daniel Boist
dbSONIC Media
Germany

4 Installations of DR Studio / Fusion Studio
2 x MacStudio Ultra , 128 GB
2 x MacBook Pro, M1 Max, 32 GB

RCModelReviews

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 11:07 pm

++1 for this.

Although Resolve was designed primarily for professional editors (often focused on 24fps) the reality is that it's now being used by a wide range of editors (pro and amateur) who, like myself, end up using quite a variety of frame rates, depending on the actual composition, the cameras available and the look we're going for.

It's *really* handy (for example) if we can take a 60fps timeline and render it at 30fps or (for YouTube) perhaps a 25fps timeline and render it at 50fps (seems to give fewer compression artifacts for the same bitrate when YT re-encodes it to VP9), etc, etc.

As Resolve becomes a more powerful and general-purpose tool it would be a shame not to support the new markets that are embracing it.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

jrb101

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 9:27 am

RCModelReviews wrote:++1 for this.

Although Resolve was designed primarily for professional editors (often focused on 24fps) the reality is that it's now being used by a wide range of editors (pro and amateur) who, like myself, end up using quite a variety of frame rates, depending on the actual composition, the cameras available and the look we're going for.

It's *really* handy (for example) if we can take a 60fps timeline and render it at 30fps or (for YouTube) perhaps a 25fps timeline and render it at 50fps (seems to give fewer compression artifacts for the same bitrate when YT re-encodes it to VP9), etc, etc.

As Resolve becomes a more powerful and general-purpose tool it would be a shame not to support the new markets that are embracing it.

Another +1 for this here! I'm one of those amateur editors you mention in your posts...

This is useful stuff to know - I'm just in the process of migrating from Magix Vegas Pro 16 to Davinci Resolve (or possibly using them side-by-side) and I've often rendered out at different frame rates to the timeline for particular "looks" (e.g. taking a 30fps or 60fps timeline and rendering to 24fps for film-like motion). This is something easily achievable in Vegas.

Looks like I'll just have to alter my editing process slightly to decide on the framerate before editing in Resolve - no biggie, but worth remembering as I haven't previously needed to think about it!
Jon Baker
Current System: AMD Ryzen 2200G, AMD Radeon RX570 (4GB), 16GB 3000MHz RAM, Win 10, Resolve (Free) 16 BETA 4
It's low spec, but I only tend to work in 1080p30 or proxy/optimised workflows for 4K!

Hermanni

PostFri May 08, 2020 3:15 pm

I was having problems with changing the timeline framerate too.
I tried the trick suggested above, which included backing up my project, deleting everything including the timeline, changing the framerate and then giving it an easy ctrl + z to hopefully have the project back with the framerate changed.
didn't work so i resorted to rendering the project in 60fps and then just re-rendering it from 60fps to 30fps in a new project. this works fine but takes time and i'm not quite sure if the quality might suffer.

R.J. Crawfurd

PostSat May 16, 2020 11:38 am

The first time I was asked to restore a film, I was wondering whether I should start at 24 or 25 fps, being in Europe. Coming from Vegas editor, I imagined being able to decide later. Halfway through the project I got a bit worried and consulted the forum. I was devastated.
In Europe it is common that films are shot in 24 fps and scanned for TV in 25 fps with about a 4% increase in speed. This has probably been the practice since the invention of the telecine. It prevents the nasty adding or subtracting of one frame per second.
I would like to have the option in a future version of Resolve to be able to render a DCP in 24 fps and a TV version in 50i in the same project. I think Europe will be grateful.
Windows 10 i7 4770
Radeon RX480
24GB RAM
Resolve studio 16.2.4 Studio

Uli Plank

PostSat May 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Hermanni wrote:…so i resorted to rendering the project in 60fps and then just re-rendering it from 60fps to 30fps in a new project. this works fine but takes time and i'm not quite sure if the quality might suffer.

If you set retiming to 'Nearest' it'll drop every other frame and you'll have no degradation.

@Rob: It will not be 50i, it'll be 25 PsF.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostSat May 16, 2020 2:07 pm

R.J. Crawfurd wrote:I would like to have the option...to be able to render a DCP in 24 fps and a TV version in 50i in the same project.

Bring the 24 fps export back into the project, change it's frame rate, drop into a new timeline, and Deliver.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marcelo Lippi

PostSun May 17, 2020 12:05 am

Bring the 24 fps export back into the project, change it's frame rate, drop into a new timeline, and Deliver.

are you sure that the audio frame rate changes? I tested that didn't happen...

Return to DaVinci Resolve