Retiming a clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mindaugas Ciciunas

Retiming a clip

PostMon Nov 02, 2015 6:14 pm

I have a final edit and then I decided to use Retime Clip tool on some clips. I added some speed points and when I started adjusting them, clips of my whole timeline started moving back and forth. This was happening even if I had my ready to retime clips on a separate track and Trim Edit Mode was off. This behavior messes up the whole edit, since I have everything synchronized according to my sound track and I don't want anything else to move.

This should be easy, but maybe I am missing something. How could I retime desired clips without ruining my current edit?

P.S. Change Clip Speed tool is not what I need. I need speed variations to start in the middle of the clip.

Marc Wielage

Re: Retiming a clip

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 12:24 am

My workaround is to only do speed changes on clips in a different, isolated track. That way, there's no possible way it will shift or otherwise affect the edit. Pages 441-447 of the v12 manual go into Retime in detail.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Mindaugas Ciciunas

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 8:17 am

Thank you Marc. One more time I reviewed speed change pages in the manual. What do you mean when you say "isolated track"? Are you somehow isolating a single track on the timeline, or you just do those speed changes on a blank new timeline? I also have problems copying clips from one timeline to another.
After I decided to switch to Davinci Resolve to edit my video projects, it looks like every day I find some upsetting shortcoming or inconvenience. I have worked with Premiere in the past. For a number of years I have worked with Sony Vegas and there I was the happiest editor. After I learned that Sony plans to abandon Vegas I thought that it is a time to switch to something new and better, like Davinci Resolve.
Now I see that Davinci Resolve is not ready for video editing at all. I agree that Color Correction department is convenient and I love it. However the whole editing area is a mess. I am not even mentioning laggy performance with larger projects and support for the most obvious video and audio formats :( .

Marc Wielage

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 10:37 am

Mindaugas Ciciunas wrote:Thank you Marc. One more time I reviewed speed change pages in the manual. What do you mean when you say "isolated track"?

New video track in the Edit page. Whenever I make changes -- dropping in VFX shots, replacing fixes, etc. -- I generally will deactivate the current clip (D key) and then put the new clip just above it on an adjacent video track. That way, there's no confusion with nodes, Unmix, and all that stuff. The only time I'll have both video tracks activated is if there's actually a transition, dissolve, title, composite, or whatever.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Mindaugas Ciciunas

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 11:19 am

Thank you Marc.

Roen Davis

Retiming a clip

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 11:46 am

Marc, we need you to do a thread that just comprises of these tips of which you seem to have an abundance of! (May sound cheesy but it's earnest!)

To the deaf person the dancer appears mad.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Return to DaVinci Resolve