coloured slate?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Leslie Wand

coloured slate?

PostSat Nov 07, 2015 2:26 am

not at nle at the moment but just wondered if you can create a solid colored slate / background (black, white, red, etc.,) within resolve or do i need to create one outside say in ps?
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Marc Wielage

Re: coloured slate?

PostSat Nov 07, 2015 3:09 am

Do you mean a head slate prior to program? The title generator within Resolve works fine for that, and I do that for every delivered job. It's particularly useful for specific versions, dates, run times, and so on.

The specific format of the slate is typically left up to the client, but a typical slate would include:

PROJECT NAME
Production company
version
audio config (mono, stereo, 5.1, temp, whatever)
run time
date

I also add the facility name with the date, just so they know who to yell at if it bounces from QC. I'm old school enough to still include bars and tone at the very head of the file, but you only need a second or two. I do it just to verify there's no weird gamma or colorspace conversion on the way out.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Leslie Wand

Re: coloured slate?

PostSat Nov 07, 2015 4:31 am

thanks mark. appreciated.

yeah, old, old school here too. thought my 'old' slate was looking a bit tired and dated (i mean how can a slate look dated really!?). however i also added my mobile no. just in case...

last time i had a local station call was about 5 years ago complaining my bars were off!? asked to speak to the supervisor and was told he'd get him to ring me back. i checked everything my end - all ok, and never heard back - spot went to air. 'operator error'?
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Return to DaVinci Resolve