DeckLink Mini Monitor and DR12 color space

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mindaugas Ciciunas

DeckLink Mini Monitor and DR12 color space

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 9:15 am

I purchased a Mini Monitor card to be able to see what I grade full screen. Resolve recognized this card, but the picture it outputs through HDMI doesn't look like rec709 color space. Contrast and color of my project look almost identical to what I see on my PC in DR interface. I assume the card is functioning properly but I missed something. Would somebody shed more light on this situation. I want to monitor through HDMI output.

Adam Simmons

Re: DeckLink Mini Monitor and DR12 color space

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 11:08 am

What screen are you going out to, and has it be properly calibrated?
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Mindaugas Ciciunas

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 11:59 am

I am using a regular LDC TV with HDMI input. I understand that usually the screen has to be properly calibrated, however anyway I can tell the difference between rgb color space and 709 color space. When I connect my TV to my graphics card for full screen monitoring, contrasts and colors are different. When I make DVDs, they look consistent on DVD players, similar to what I saw on my monitor connected to a graphics card. Now, once I connected the same monitor to DeckLink Mini Monitor HDMI output, all my editing software displays pictures identical to my PC monitor, which is in rgb color space. What did I overlook?

Uli Plank

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 2:54 pm

Check the menus of your TV, those beasts have heaps of hidden settings…
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Cliff Secord

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 11:55 pm

Mindaugas Ciciunas wrote:I am using a regular LDC TV with HDMI input. I understand that usually the screen has to be properly calibrated, however anyway I can tell the difference between rgb color space and 709 color space. When I connect my TV to my graphics card for full screen monitoring, contrasts and colors are different. When I make DVDs, they look consistent on DVD players, similar to what I saw on my monitor connected to a graphics card. Now, once I connected the same monitor to DeckLink Mini Monitor HDMI output, all my editing software displays pictures identical to my PC monitor, which is in rgb color space. What did I overlook?

Oooh. This is a terrible idea. You need a 10 bit display that actually does legit REC709. You're punching a tar baby with that setup. I learned the hard way.

Uli Plank

PostFri Nov 13, 2015 4:07 am

Sorry, but I dare to contradict.

We did some extensive testing recently with a Klein K-10 probe. The Eizo Color Edge CG318 out of the box was leaving any other monitor in the dust (including a much more expensive Panasonic BT-4LH310E). My colleague, who has tested more monitors than I will ever see in my life was commenting "I've never seen such precise grayscales in my time before doing any calibration." (Setting up grading environments is his job)

But then some UDH-TVs from LG and Samsung were not that bad either. That is, IF you go into the menus and set everything correctly, including interpretation of the incoming signal (like full swing or studio swing) and switching off all the so-called "enhancements". Most of these come from the factory set to some kind of "demo-mode", so it's easy for uneducated shop assistants to make them shine in the display area.

One example: a Samsung UHD TV, 48 Zoll, Series 7, UE48JU7080 looked like crap out of the box, too contrasty, too saturated, too everything… After digging through the menus we were able to set it to a decent color space, you could even switch to studio range or full swing and 444 or 422. Without further calibration, it had a max delta-E of 3.64 (only in dark areas) and that's quite acceptable (the Panny broadcast monitor was worse!). Of course this is only one example, these models change faster than you can test them, but colleagues at prad.de found quite few recent models from both LG and Samsung to perform acceptably well with the right settings. Sure, these are still glossy and large and have no SDI inputs, but they are cheap.

In our review, the Samsung UHD-TV was better than any 4K computer monitor from Dell, HP or NEC we had available for testing.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to DaVinci Resolve