Alexis van Hurkman's new Editing in Resolve training course

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Richard Dean

Alexis van Hurkman's new Editing in Resolve training course

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 6:55 pm

I purchased Alexis' new title from Ripple (actually the entire package of 5 Resolve training titles) a few days ago and I must congratulate him on a fantastic job. Since I want to use Resolve as my new edit platform (coming from FCP7) I have been looking for something like this to help get me up and running.

I think anyone serious about resolve as an NLE would be very happy to get his insight and tips. I've only watched about a third so far but seeing all the features of R12 makes me very confident that this product will mature into the absolute best platform for my work.

I have e been telling all my non techie friends that free Resolve is simply a no Brainer for them to move away from FCP7.

If I ran a small movie studio I would eventually mandate that all productions use the resolve work flow. Keeping everything from ingest to output under one hood makes life incredibly simple and makes my confidence level extremely high that I could deliver my own feature (once I find investment) in house.

And after seeing all the features of R12 studio in use, I can't I imagine going to Premier (although I have not used it in many years) or any other platform for that matter.

The ability to work on Color at any point In the Editing process Is fantastic as round tripping was always a Source of anxiety for me.

Gary Stanford

Re: Alexis van Hurkman's new Editing in Resolve training cou

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 10:57 pm

I'm three quarters through editing a short film (20 minutes) on Resolve and will never go back to Premiere Pro again.

Unfortunately, the audio editing feature is all but unusable, so I will have to keep using Protools or Vegas for the foreseeable future and Fusion integration seems a long way down the Blackmagic list of priorities, but given the relentless improvement of the Resolve product to date, I can imagine a day when I enter the program and do not leave it until the product is fully finished. :D
1 x BMPCC4k/2 x BMCCs/Davinci Resolve Studio/Decklink Mini Monitor/HD Link Pro /ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 DDR3 x SATA3/Intel i7 3.4GHz/GTX 980ti 6 GB/32BG RAM/3 SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO SSD/4 x 3 TB WD HDDs/Seagate 1 TB SATA 3 HDD/OCZ 850w PSU/Windows 7 64bit SP1

Leslie Wand

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 11:59 pm

i'm in agreement with alex...

part of my holding back using resolve completely is its poor audio controls and format capabilities; i've installed some vst plugins to give me more control, but the inability of using mp3 beggars belief. if i want to 'audition' multiple audio tracks dl'ed from the net it means wasting time converting them, etc. apparently this isn't so on mac's?

i also find the export lacks mp4 - (i am no lover of .mov in the first place), and a number of my corporate clients simply wont have any apple services on their pc's. this requires me knocking out an mxf to feed into handbrake.

i do realize my concerns are small beer compared to the market resolve is aimed at, but...
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Marc Wielage

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 3:39 am

Getting back to the original message, I think Alexis' new Ripple Training tutorials are very well-done, and they go into exhaustive detail about how all the functions work in Resolve 12 and in particular, shine a light on all the new stuff in the Editing features. I don't use these features very often, but I know have a much greater appreciation for how and why the features work the way they do, and it clarifies a lot of questions I've had over the years. There was a lot of, "aha! That's that that button does!" moments for me.

Interested people can get more info from this link:

http://www.rippletraining.com/categorie ... i-resolve/
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 7:57 pm

Yes I have too the Alexis new course and I like it.....!

+1
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve